Bluemoon Legends
Hi there fellow Football lover! Welcome to 606 Bluemoon Legends Forum. Have a good time and any problems, let me know.

Kindest regards
Leopold
Bluemoon Legends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 11 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 11 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 441 on Sun May 22, 2011 10:20 pm
Latest topics
» 23/24 Prediction League
Maine road memories EmptyToday at 4:10 am by skyblueoz

» Nijinsky tips
Maine road memories EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 12:08 pm by Nijinsky

» I can't believe it
Maine road memories EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 11:11 pm by titbumwilly

» Today's game
Maine road memories EmptySun Jan 14, 2024 11:04 am by skyblueoz

» Happy christmas Blue Moon Users & Guests
Maine road memories EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 8:30 am by shakencity

» Bloody Rubbish
Maine road memories EmptySun Dec 24, 2023 4:08 pm by skyblueoz

» World Cup Final
Maine road memories EmptyMon Oct 30, 2023 11:21 am by shakencity

» The Man City Academy - What' the point?
Maine road memories EmptyFri Sep 22, 2023 4:02 pm by lee1pen

» Transfer business - good or bad?
Maine road memories EmptyFri Sep 08, 2023 3:44 pm by Nijinsky

» Mods please set up
Maine road memories EmptyTue Aug 15, 2023 6:30 am by titbumwilly

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Maine road memories

+8
Alan AKA GoodKompany
Salome Maloney
sheppeyblue
Paulpowersleftfoot
lee1pen
emjaydee
Mario's Wink
bigjonnyloosebum
12 posters

Go down

Maine road memories Empty Maine road memories

Post by bigjonnyloosebum Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:13 pm

Evening Chaps are we well? just thinking about the good old days at maine rd and boy do I miss that place.
Got some great memories. I remember my first game without my old man when Iwas with my Mates and It was against oldham and it was 3-3 think it was 1991-92 or there about when higgs and hill billboards where up when they were building the new platt lane end. Any of you fellas remember your first games or any decent memories of the old place will be nice. Miss standing on Kippax and also then relocating to the north stand when the old kippax was demolished. WE ARE THE NORTH STAND, WE ARE THE NORTH STAND ,KIPPAX GIVE US A SONG SSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGG Very Happy

bigjonnyloosebum
Not Really Here
Not Really Here

Back to top Go down

Maine road memories Empty Re: Maine road memories

Post by Mario's Wink Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:21 pm

Quinny's pen save, singing "he's got a pine-apple on his head" to Brevitt against Fulham?, Oasis concert, Kinky's wonder goal and would see Eddie Large most game's.
Mario's Wink
Mario's Wink
Not Really Here
Not Really Here

Back to top Go down

Post by emjaydee Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:39 pm

Mario's Wink wrote:Quinny's pen save, singing "he's got a pine-apple on his head" to Brevitt against Fulham?, Oasis concert, Kinky's wonder goal and would see Eddie Large most game's.

Speaking of the 'He's got a pineapple on his head' song, Jason Lee has just taken over as manager of Boston Utd in the BlueSquare North.
emjaydee
emjaydee
Youth Team
Youth Team

Back to top Go down

Post by lee1pen Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:02 pm

Rodney Marsh running rings round the liverpool defence near the corner flag just playing time down. £-0 up I think and allison wanted a 4th. marsh just wanted to play with them, show them up and then do it all again.
lee1pen
lee1pen
Regular Starter
Regular Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulpowersleftfoot Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:47 am

I vividly remember kenny Clements breaking his leg in front of the platt lane,my addled memory tells me it was 2-1 against Ipswich
Paulpowersleftfoot
Paulpowersleftfoot
Key Player
Key Player

Back to top Go down

Post by sheppeyblue Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:59 am

Favourite memory was taking young George to his first game, against Tranmere (how's that for glamorous?) and lifting him high to present him to all sides of the ground.
That was our Lion King moment!
Still brings a tear to my eye.
sheppeyblue
sheppeyblue
Not Really Here
Not Really Here

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:22 am

I was a ball boy there back in 1979 !! Met Mick Shannon watching the horses in the players lounge before the game, the game was City V Bristol City but still remember it well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Salome Maloney Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:25 am

The cup quarter final replay and league cup semi in 1981. Incredible amount of people in the ground. Could lift your feet up and be carried along.

Was at school in Moss side at the time. Spent the build up to both matches standing on princess Parkway and directing Scousers towards old trrafford
Salome Maloney
Salome Maloney
New Signing
New Signing

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan AKA GoodKompany Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:01 pm

My first game was against WBA in around 1975/6 and we lost 4-1 against a Cyril Regis hattrick.
Me, my dad and my uncle were sat in the Platt Lane end on all I can describe as "benches" with paint drawn lines signifying where one arse would start and end!
The gristle in the meat and tatty pie stuck in my teeth the whole match and made me heave....
I can remember my dad singing "who's the bastard in the black" and being really shocked as I'd never heard him say anything worse than "bloody hell woman" to my mum before.....
I can also remember my dad being fleeced out of 50p to have his car watched, only to see the same lad inside the ground :-)

Alan AKA GoodKompany
Alan AKA GoodKompany
Not Really Here
Not Really Here

Back to top Go down

Post by BoyWithTheArabsCash Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:11 pm

I miss some of the old pubs, the ones near ComS are shit.

I still shudder when i remember the old Kippax bogs, stuff of nightmares.

I know this is going to sound poncy, but what i don't miss is the god awful corporate facilities at Maine Road, they were fucking attrocious and all the staff couldn't speak English. The facilities at CoMS are among the finest in the country.
BoyWithTheArabsCash
BoyWithTheArabsCash
Regular Starter
Regular Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by AMillionDifferentPeople Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:28 pm

Daz, my sister got married at MR and the facilities were shocking. I was'nt arsed though as i was wasted and got to meet Bell and Sumerbee. Was at Coms for the first game against Barca, the difference in quality was breathtaking, and we won.
AMillionDifferentPeople
AMillionDifferentPeople
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Maine road memories Empty Three outstanding memories

Post by Bell-CTID Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:23 pm

1977, Colin Bell’s comeback. Came on as a second half substitute against Newcastle United in an overwhelming welcome. City won 4-0. I remember him running on with a clear limp – very sad. He lasted 2 more years before retiring

1978, v AC Milan (UEFA Cup, 3rd Round) 3 – 0, Kidd, Booth, Hartford (Agg 5-2). Got into the Kippax (centreline of course) about 10 minutes after kick-off and I’m pretty sure I missed all the goals (memory may be wrong – anyone know times of goals?). I do remember it was a freezing night but we were so packed in I was soaked with sweat in no time – ah, happy days!

2009, shmoozing at COMS in a hospitality suite. Colin Bell came up to our table and I swear I was totally dumb-struck. My brother got chatting to him but all I could do was stare with my gob open! Pathetic eh! It was also the last time my dad got to see City before he died (and his hero was Colin Bell too!)
Bell-CTID
Bell-CTID
Not Really Here
Not Really Here

Back to top Go down

Post by Salome Maloney Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:42 pm

I was at that Newcastle game, though for some reason I remember it being West Ham.

I also remember us winning 10 on the trot when he came back, but I've been told previously that we didn't
Salome Maloney
Salome Maloney
New Signing
New Signing

Back to top Go down

Post by bigjonnyloosebum Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:35 pm

Ok blue boys some nice memos there I like to listen to the older blues amongst us telling the tales that made them follow our great club. CTID Very Happy

bigjonnyloosebum
Not Really Here
Not Really Here

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:47 pm

I do have some very fond memories of Maine Road and it just made me think, Do any of you wish we were still there?

Whilst I admit that the all round Matchday experience, and facilities at CoMS are awesome, I do still pine for the experience at Maine Road especially when you could still stand on The Kippax.

The atmosphere at Maine Road was second to none like when Nev fed the Goat, I'm sure the main stand was rocking that day something I have never experienced since we moved.

I know it's probably the nostalgia but I wish we had never moved, am I the only 1? It definately brought a tear to my eye the first time I walked past there and even though I knew it was Maine Road my eyes could no longer see it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wensdi Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:34 pm

CL football beckons - we had to move on. Now then to hell with Maine Road memories - what about that FA Cup round against Spuds in 2003/04 season. Just watched it again on FA Cup Classics - down to 10 men and 3-0 down. SWP was a star - not the only one though - they all played well.
cheers
Wensdi
Wensdi
Key Player
Key Player

Back to top Go down

Post by BoyWithTheArabsCash Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:01 pm

Wensdi, you can see it again in Off Topic on the 2nd page under "Did This Really Happen" ?
BoyWithTheArabsCash
BoyWithTheArabsCash
Regular Starter
Regular Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Wensdi Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:04 pm

I recorded it Boy - so I can watch it all week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thx anyway
Wensdi
Wensdi
Key Player
Key Player