Bluemoon Legends
Hi there fellow Football lover! Welcome to 606 Bluemoon Legends Forum. Have a good time and any problems, let me know.

Kindest regards
Leopold
Bluemoon Legends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 16 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 16 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 441 on Sun May 22, 2011 10:20 pm
Latest topics
» 23/24 Prediction League
Oh FFS......this is becoming ridiculous. EmptyYesterday at 4:38 pm by shakencity

» Nijinsky tips
Oh FFS......this is becoming ridiculous. EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 12:08 pm by Nijinsky

» I can't believe it
Oh FFS......this is becoming ridiculous. EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 11:11 pm by titbumwilly

» Today's game
Oh FFS......this is becoming ridiculous. EmptySun Jan 14, 2024 11:04 am by skyblueoz

» Happy christmas Blue Moon Users & Guests
Oh FFS......this is becoming ridiculous. EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 8:30 am by shakencity

» Bloody Rubbish
Oh FFS......this is becoming ridiculous. EmptySun Dec 24, 2023 4:08 pm by skyblueoz

» World Cup Final
Oh FFS......this is becoming ridiculous. EmptyMon Oct 30, 2023 11:21 am by shakencity

» The Man City Academy - What' the point?
Oh FFS......this is becoming ridiculous. EmptyFri Sep 22, 2023 4:02 pm by lee1pen

» Transfer business - good or bad?
Oh FFS......this is becoming ridiculous. EmptyFri Sep 08, 2023 3:44 pm by Nijinsky

» Mods please set up
Oh FFS......this is becoming ridiculous. EmptyTue Aug 15, 2023 6:30 am by titbumwilly

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Oh FFS......this is becoming ridiculous.

5 posters

Go down

Oh FFS......this is becoming ridiculous. Empty Oh FFS......this is becoming ridiculous.

Post by blueboy Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:50 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2904824/Charlie-Nicholas-apologises-saying-Manchester-City-midfielders-Fernandinho-Fernando-look-same.html

I do it all the time when they play together!! Both were equally average yesterday so it was difficult to see which one of them was giving away another stray pass. Rolling Eyes
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Oh FFS......this is becoming ridiculous. Empty Re: Oh FFS......this is becoming ridiculous.

Post by Topdawg Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:55 am

On the streams we have, sometimes I thought Mangala was Dimi until I remembered how bad the Mango is (only kidding guys).

But seriously, everyone does a similar thing from time to time, we just maybe don't say it out loud or get caught out for it.
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Oh FFS......this is becoming ridiculous. Empty Re: Oh FFS......this is becoming ridiculous.

Post by blueboy Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:02 am

I do....I was shouting "FFS Fernando"...and my lad said "It was Fernandinho who gave the ball away again".... Embarassed
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by skyblueoz Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

My daughter just says "keep quiet dad they can't hear you!!"
skyblueoz
skyblueoz
Key Player
Key Player

Back to top Go down

Post by shakencity Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:16 am

The world's gone mad.
shakencity
shakencity
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:43 am

It is becoming hard to sustain, all this outrage. Every week, new anger. Nought to lunacy in a tweet, a misplaced word, or a thought that hasn’t been properly processed by the standards committee.
Charlie Nicholas could not quickly distinguish between Fernando and Fernandinho of Manchester City in a live update. His apology came fast enough, though.
Terrified at being thought racist, and cowed by the usual nonsense on social media, Sky Sports told senior broadcaster Jeff Stelling to take the lead. He apologised on Nicholas’ behalf, and his colleague offered further words of contrition.

‘Jeff, they both physically look the same and sometimes you don’t catch the number, so you actually don’t quite know what one is what,’ Nicholas said.
It was a decent gesture, at least, but unnecessary. In his error, Nicholas wasn’t saying that all black men look the same to him; he was saying that, at a glance, Fernando and Fernandinho do. And they do, the same way some white footballers look like other white footballers in full flow, the way that, bizarrely, Wayne Rooney must have looked like Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain the night Clive Tyldesley momentarily confused them when England played Scotland.
It happens. In the press box after a goal has been scored there will often be questions, uncertainty - about the scorer, the provider, did it take a deflection, who was the last defender. Not because people aren’t paying attention but because a melee of guys challenging for the ball in a small space can be hard to distinguish - and because one player can look like another, black or white.
Nicky Barmby and Craig Hignett were known as The Midget Gems during their time at Middlesbrough.

It was a running joke how many times the stadium announcer got their identities mixed up when announcing the scorer’s name. Sometimes, for fun, they would sign as each other for autograph hunters. They marvelled at how infrequently this was picked up, too.
Thomas Gravesen and Lee Carsley were the heart of a hard-working midfield under David Moyes at Everton.
When Gravesen landed a move to Real Madrid it was speculated - only half in jest - that the Spaniards rated him so highly because credit for half of Carsley’s work went his way, too. Racist? Hardly. Two stocky, pale, white guys with shaved heads, powering around the midfield can look like twins; and two black guys, too.
Fernando and Fernandinho have similar skin, similar hair, a similar slender build, play a similar position and wear the same shirt, shorts and socks.

There is a way of telling them apart, beyond the extra syllable, because Fernando is three inches taller - although it is unlikely it will have looked that way on Nicholas’ monitor.
So, given seconds to call the scorer of Manchester City’s goal, he confessed they looked alike to him.
Perhaps he could have chosen his words more wisely but he meant no insult. Jonathan Pearce described the same event for Match of the Day. With 30 years’ experience behind the microphone he waited to give the name of the scorer until he could be absolutely sure.

Nicholas, by contrast, was Arsenal’s centre forward in his previous life; he blundered through like a well-meaning amateur and fell foul of the professionally offended.
The rest is up to us. Do we see sense in these moments and accept an honest mistake, or continue to indulge the ever-present faux-controversy?
Do we steel ourselves for genuine fights against prejudice, or waste time on trivialities? Nicholas did the polite thing by apologising but not the right thing. Sadly, saying sorry only encourages some people.
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by leopold Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:14 am

I do this all the time at matches, I can't pick any of them apart at a distance. I often confuse them both with Vinny. I get muddled with Silva and Nasri. I even got Clichy mixed up with Milner, which is a bit embarrassing!
leopold
leopold
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:15 am

Professionally offended. Good line.
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:17 am

When I take my lad to matches, he's always asking me which one is Yaya. I just wait until I'm fairly sure it's him on the ball before I tell him. My lad goes,'Oh, the black guy!!!
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:29 am

Could be worse....he could have said "coloured guy" Embarassed
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:37 am

My kids just say it like it is like,  Oh, see that fat guy over there!
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:43 am

Topdawg wrote:My kids just say it like it is like,  Oh, see that fat guy over there!

Is that what they call you? Razz
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:49 am

They call me that sometimes! Especially after the holidays!
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down