Bluemoon Legends
Hi there fellow Football lover! Welcome to 606 Bluemoon Legends Forum. Have a good time and any problems, let me know.

Kindest regards
Leopold
Who is online?
In total there are 10 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 9 Guests

blueboy

Most users ever online was 441 on Sun May 22, 2011 10:20 pm
Latest topics
» Transfer News....
Today at 1:40 pm by skyblueoz

» Liverpool and ex-Liverpool players
Today at 12:13 pm by blueboy

» Anyone believe this bulls..t?
Today at 10:41 am by blueboy

» £25m Kelechi to Leicester?
Today at 9:37 am by blueboy

» £45m for Walker....
Today at 7:18 am by skyblueoz

» Far too hot
Yesterday at 3:58 pm by Topdawg

» Does anyone honestly think Stones is good enough???
Yesterday at 1:16 pm by blueboy

» Tosin Adarabioyo!
Yesterday at 9:36 am by Moonchester

» Dani Alves?
Yesterday at 9:11 am by Topdawg

» The Noisy Neighbours - Documentary
Yesterday at 8:26 am by skyblueoz

June 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Out of interest....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Out of interest....

Post by blueboy on Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:37 am

do you all know how to perform Basic Life Support for adults and paediatrics? Also, does your workplace have an AED and have you been trained to use it?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4284624/1-000-lives-year-saved-did-aid.html

==========================
"How you gonna live your dash?"
blueboy
Thrills Mod

Back to top Go down

Re: Out of interest....

Post by Topdawg on Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:50 am

I have done first aid courses for every sports qualification I have, but that was some time ago.

I do read bits and bobs from time to time, but a refresher with all new knowledge would be useful.

I remember one Sunday league insisting that we have first aid training to be part of the league. They said it was mandatory to have two people trained up. They were still a bit power crazy when  we said we had two qualified doctors playing for us!!

They wanted to tick their boxes. Bless them.
Topdawg

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy on Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:59 am

I'm a certified Immediate Life Support Instructor - and still had to do the FA course as well. £££

But this is something that concerns me. The amount of times the Ambulance service turn up to see members of the general public standing there, doing nothing. With Chest Compression Only CPR being the standard teaching practice for lay responders (general public), they no longer have to ventilate....so no need to be putting their mouth to a strangers mouth - which was one of the reasons for not performing CPR (UK Resus Council 2010).

I taught my lads when they were strong enough to compress a Resus Annie (about 6 years of age)....and since my wife stopped flying, she knows how to perform current BLS and a Defib.

For me, it should be mandatory in schools.

blueboy
Thrills Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg on Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:10 am

I think everyone should be taught about chest compressions as a minimum.

My boys know how to react when someone is unresponsive. Shout their name a few times and check that they are breathing by putting their hand under the nose. Then get help.

Might look at finding them a simple course this summer so that they can do a little more if required.
Topdawg

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy on Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:21 am

One thing you have to be careful of, and this is maybe why people don't start CPR early enough, is something called 'agonal' breathing. It's present in up to 60% of cardiac arrest victims in the first minute after arrest.

It looks like normal breathing because the mouth moves, but it's not....so people may decide they are breathing or put them in the recovery position.

See video below from 2:27 onwards for agonal breathing - he's been shocked, but is still in cardiac respiratory arrest (ignore CPR ratios):

blueboy
Thrills Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg on Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:39 am

Wowza. Lucky guy.

So important to at least know the basics.

Thanks for the thread.
Topdawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg on Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:52 pm

good article...

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2017/mar/06/save-a-life-first-aid-advice-remember-cardiac-arrest
Topdawg

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy on Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:11 pm

Yeah, the more this gets out there the better.

We don't have the Good Samaritan act in the UK, and there's never been a successful prosecution in the UK for those attempting BLS.

I tell my students this:

Imagine when a person goes into cardiac arrest (problem mainly caused by ischaemia - heart disease) or cardio respiratory arrest (drowning, trauma, paediatrics) then imagine somebody 'up there' with a stopwatch and they click it. That stopwatch can't be stopped until the first 'successful' shock is delivered via a Defib (in cardiac arrest).

For every minute after collapse, the patients chances of survival decreases by 7-10% without any CPR intervention.

If a person at least starts Chest Compression only CPR, at a rate of 120 per minute (just aim for the centre of the chest - no need to measure), that percentage decreases to 3-4% for every minute....but CPR alone won't reverse the process in cardiac arrest, it's just artificially prolonging their life until the Defib arrives.....hence, why the Defib is so important, but equally, starting CPR increases the patients chances of survival after a Defib by up to 70%.

Just do what you can - press down 6cm or a 3rd of the chest , make sure release the compression and aim for 2 every second. Make sure someone calls 999 or use your mobile on loudspeaker - try not to interrupt compressions.

It's knackering, so if someone else is there, swap over every 2 mins whilst you take a break.

blueboy
Thrills Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top