Bluemoon Legends
Hi there fellow Football lover! Welcome to 606 Bluemoon Legends Forum. Have a good time and any problems, let me know.

Kindest regards
Leopold
Bluemoon Legends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

TMG

Most users ever online was 441 on Sun May 22, 2011 10:20 pm
Latest topics
» 23/24 Prediction League
A bit of local knowledge please EmptyToday at 4:38 pm by shakencity

» Nijinsky tips
A bit of local knowledge please EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 12:08 pm by Nijinsky

» I can't believe it
A bit of local knowledge please EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 11:11 pm by titbumwilly

» Today's game
A bit of local knowledge please EmptySun Jan 14, 2024 11:04 am by skyblueoz

» Happy christmas Blue Moon Users & Guests
A bit of local knowledge please EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 8:30 am by shakencity

» Bloody Rubbish
A bit of local knowledge please EmptySun Dec 24, 2023 4:08 pm by skyblueoz

» World Cup Final
A bit of local knowledge please EmptyMon Oct 30, 2023 11:21 am by shakencity

» The Man City Academy - What' the point?
A bit of local knowledge please EmptyFri Sep 22, 2023 4:02 pm by lee1pen

» Transfer business - good or bad?
A bit of local knowledge please EmptyFri Sep 08, 2023 3:44 pm by Nijinsky

» Mods please set up
A bit of local knowledge please EmptyTue Aug 15, 2023 6:30 am by titbumwilly

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

A bit of local knowledge please

+2
Moonchester
Blue Radley
6 posters

Go down

A bit of local knowledge please Empty A bit of local knowledge please

Post by Blue Radley Sun May 20, 2018 11:08 am

Hi folks. Long-time follower of this site but never felt the urge to register and comment until now, so I recently signed-up. Didn’t want to post anything too early and gate-crash everyone’s end-of-season party, but I trust you all enjoyed the most spectacular season of football I’ve ever seen from any team, never mind any City team. “Why is he posting now?” I hear you say. “He must want something!” Well, you’d be right. In about a year’s time I’ll be in a position to quit my job, sell my house down South and retire early on a modest pension. Something I’m giving serious thought to doing is moving to Manchester, possibly renting in Ashton-under-Lyne for a year or so while I look for the right retirement property to buy. I was thinking Ashton for the easy transport connections to the Etihad. Anyone got any reasons why Ashton is a good/bad idea, and what areas of Manchester would you say were best to live in? I’m not the most mobile these days, so ease of travel is a priority.

Any useful assistance would be much appreciated. I might even join you on some of the other threads!
Blue Radley
Blue Radley
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

A bit of local knowledge please Empty Re: A bit of local knowledge please

Post by Moonchester Mon May 21, 2018 7:13 am

local knowledge is very specific in Tameside. All towns have nicer and not so nicer parts. ie. theres a rough estate in every town..

Generally house price or rent amount should give some indication as to the specific local area. The nicer estates are getting bigger and more numerous as more and more developments are done.
Moonchester
Moonchester
Key Player
Key Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Radley Mon May 21, 2018 7:11 pm

Appreciate the response there fella. I guess I was probably trying to say in a rather long-winded way if there's anywhere I should avoid, but these things are always subjective. One man's meat is another man's poison. I mention Ashton only because I've stayed at the Travel Lodge there and it seemed ok. Was less impressed with the Sportcity one, but match days are not always the best guide.
Blue Radley
Blue Radley
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Mon May 21, 2018 9:48 pm

I know mobility is an issue for you, but I'd consider anywhere within 30 minutes of the city, unless you want to live near the city and mobility is a big issue for you.
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by leopold Tue May 22, 2018 10:57 am

Welcome to the community, Blue Radley!

As a Tameside resident myself, I can tell you that the better areas to live in and the areas with better transport are pretty much mutually exclusive.  I'd agree with you that Ashton has good links, especially to the Etihad, as you've got the tram and three or four regular buses, but personally I'd not touch it with a barge pole, I find it to be a horribly depressing place which has had far too much money spent on it in an effort to make it more appealing, the net result being akin to a polished turd.  But that's only my opinion; I dare say there are nice bits, but I've never felt compelled to find them.

I'd also point out that trams leaving the stadium are packed solid in either direction, so if you're not a fan of playing sardines on public transport, you might want to give it a miss, or at least wait until things quieten down a bit.

One option you could try is to join a supporters club in the area you decide to move to.  A lot of them lay on minibuses to games and they tend to drop off and pick up close to the station. It might cost more than the tram or bus, but it's something to consider.  I know the Bredbury OSC do this, they are one of the largest clubs in the area and from my own experience they do a very good job for their membership.  I've never lived there, but it looks okay when I've been through it.

If it's any help, there's been a lot of housing development in the area near the stadium. There's a lot of housing in Beswick, just up the road from the stadium, with some very out of place looking properties, and there are also a few modern apartment blocks across the road from the stadium as well.  I'm not so sure what life is like there, but I know a chap who's lived in Clayton all his life (he's well into his eighties now) and he's always seemed pretty happy there.  Or you could look at the new apartment developments in New Islington, which is just one tram stop from the Etihad and very close to the city itself.
leopold
leopold
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Radley Tue May 22, 2018 7:50 pm

Thanks Leopold, interesting opinion of Ashton! Exactly the sort of thing I wanted to hear really so good on yer. I'd not considered New Islington at all but maybe I should take in a game early next season and tag a couple of extra (non-drinking) days onto my stay and have a mooch around.
Blue Radley
Blue Radley
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Tue May 22, 2018 9:36 pm

Good idea not to be drinking too heavily when looking for somewhere to live otherwise you'll end up living in-between a rowdy pub and a strip joint!
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Wed May 23, 2018 1:07 pm

Topdawg wrote:Good idea not to be drinking too heavily when looking for somewhere to live otherwise you'll end up living in-between a rowdy pub and a strip joint!
Sounds like my kinda place!!! How did I end up on a farm??? Razz Razz Razz

As for Bredbury - I have friends who live there and on whole, its a really nice area. Stockport Town Centre is next door, transport is good, link to the Etihad are good as well.

Don't know Ashton so can't comment.

Anyway, great to see a new member on here - some of this lot can bore you to death after a while.  Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz...just kidding. 

Anyway - welcome to the site and feel free to contribute as much or as little as you like.
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonchester Wed May 23, 2018 2:02 pm

a lot will depend on budget. certainly housing prices reflect the micro-area's within the towns quite accurately.
rentals are a bit more flat-rate on local amenities rather than the area itself like buying seems to track.
Moonchester
Moonchester
Key Player
Key Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Radley Wed May 23, 2018 5:45 pm

Cheers guys. I'll not be making any decisions until the end of the year at the earliest but always good to get other opinions. I'm sure there's plenty out there like me who visit this site without registering or commenting so I'll try to stay active and hopefully it might encourage a few more to sign-up and get involved.
Blue Radley
Blue Radley
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Nijinsky Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:56 pm

I was born and bred in Bredbury and am biased but it has a great City Suppoters club, they meet at the Crown.

Had many eventful evenings at Bredbury hall and a few at Quaffers before they closed it.

Good train link to Piccadilly and regular buses to Stockpot and Hyde. The traffic is a bit of a pain, but isn't it everywhere.
Nijinsky
Nijinsky
Regular Starter
Regular Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by leopold Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:33 pm

I used to travel with Bredbury SC from time to time. Arnie had it running like a well oiled machine.
leopold
leopold
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down