Bluemoon Legends
Hi there fellow Football lover! Welcome to 606 Bluemoon Legends Forum. Have a good time and any problems, let me know.

Kindest regards
Leopold
Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 441 on Sun May 22, 2011 10:20 pm
Latest topics
» Cardiff v City
Today at 2:37 am by skyblueoz

»  Bluemoon Prediction League 2018/19
Yesterday at 12:55 pm by skyblueoz

» Is it so bad?
Yesterday at 3:26 am by skyblueoz

» Lyon Pre Match Videos
Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:05 pm by blueboy

» Manchester City vs. Lyon
Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:22 pm by leopold

» FANTASY FOOTBALL 2018-19
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:41 pm by blueboy

» UEFA double standards
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:06 pm by Moonchester

» 3rd Kit Fan Survey
Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:11 am by leopold

» Man City v Fulham - Pre Match Review
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:57 am by blueboy

» A bit of local knowledge please
Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:33 pm by leopold

September 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Just wondering like

Go down

Just wondering like

Post by Wensdi on Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:59 pm

So many of these World Cup teams sing their national anthem with gusto and passion.  The England team barely moves its lips in a whisper.  What's up with that?  Joe Hart was the only England player who sang like he meant it and he's not there now.
Wensdi

Back to top Go down

Re: Just wondering like

Post by Strange Blue on Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:58 pm

It’s mainly because none of them know the words.
Strange Blue

Back to top Go down

Post by shakencity on Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:59 pm

They're all kids...they probably don't know the words.

On a serious note, they should all be instructed to learn the National Anthem and sing it with passion if they're lucky enough to be in the starting line up.
shakencity

Back to top Go down

Post by ManCityMan on Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:31 pm

Most looked like they were singing it tonight even the manager and coaching staff. Some countries like Spain and a few others don’t even have words to their anthem, it’s just music. Bad enough the press picking things wrong with England or individual players (Sterling) without fans having ago Wensdi
ManCityMan

Back to top Go down

Post by skyblueoz on Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:53 pm

noticed a few comments on the bbc from supporters already blaming sterling and saying how bad he was tonight, I went to a pub watched the game and they were all slating sterling saying how crap he is. so here we go again.....
skyblueoz

Back to top Go down

Post by shakencity on Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:13 pm

The only thing I was annoyed with tonight was Southgate's failure to take the PLs most overrated played - Deli Alli - off after 30 minutes. He offered absolutely nothing throughout, so when he got a knock it was a perfect opportunity to get Rashford or Loftus Cheek on. How he stayed on for 80 minutes still baffles me now.
shakencity

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg on Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:32 pm

imo, sterling, allí, lingered didn't do that much at all. neither did ashford when he came on. Henderson was cack. Loftus-Cheek made a few decent moves and some bad decisions. If Alli isn't fit, I'd start with Rashford or LC instead. Rose for Young as well.
Topdawg

Back to top Go down

Post by Wensdi on Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:49 am

TBF this squad did do better than usual.  Last WC - they barely moved their lips.

I detest Ashley Young - but his corners are awesome - much better than our corner takers.  Walker gave away the penalty - he has a bit of "nasty" in him. Wish he would rein it in - but he had a good second half.
Wensdi

Back to top Go down

Post by TMG on Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:48 am

Ali was awful. Sterling wasn't great either but at least he was involved in the game. Lingard's finishing was worse than Sterling's but 'he can usually be relied on' apparently. Thought Trippier was excellent, Henderson was good and Loftus Cheek & Rashford did well when they came on. Pickford's distribution was Hartesque.
Walkers penalty was very soft compared to the not given pens at the other end. VAR  was supposed to stop all these terrible refereeing performances but so far it's been very disappointing.
Still we scraped a win for a change when as usual things went against us & we should at least progress from the group stages.
TMG

Back to top Go down

Post by skyblueoz on Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:56 am

i heard that var ref contacted the ref over the 1st Kane incident but the ref has the right to ignore it and chose to do so. Kane got mom in a fan poll ? goes to show if you score 2 but do nothing else you are a star. Sterling was running into space putting himself about and making himself available throughout the 1st half. In the second half however he drifted right out of the game. 

My annoyance came when he flicked a ball past the left midfielder ran on and tried to pass inside to the only player ahead of him. The player, who had 3 on him instead of coming towards Sterling to (a) lose at least one of the markers (b) try to offer some support maybe for a quick receive and flick round the corner for Sterling to continue his run, chose to stand and watch leaving sterling with an impossible pass or to try and beat a man on his outside which would have alienated him further from his forward support. If that had been a city team mate silva de bruynne or the forwards they would be coming short to make themselves available.
skyblueoz

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy on Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:31 am

Thought Sterling was decent in the first half, yeah, drifted out of the game in the second half, but nobody covered themselves in glory (except Kane - 2 goals, did his job, even if he did cock-all for the rest of the game). 

Thought it was a very poor decision by Southgate to keep Alli on in the first half, never mind another 30 mins of the second half. The players shouldn't dictate to the Manager on their fitness. It was clear for all to see, that he was struggling as he did cock-all all game.

Trippier was very good. Thought Henderson had a decent game overall. 

Still think Sterling isn't best in the 10 role. Far better out wide - and as much as I like Trippier - why play 2 players out of position who have been excellent all season for City - Walker and Sterling? Walker isn't a natural CB IMO. Thought Stones had a decent game - actually thought his header was over the line - but we saw no replays - and even if it was - Kane would still have claimed it! Razz

Lingard was awful. Not just is lack of invention, but his finishing was woeful - yet Raheem gets the blame for missing a chance he was offside from anyway.

A wins a win - gets us off to a good start and we should easily beat Panama to set up a top of the group clash with Belgium.

Amazing - media slagging off Sterling, on the whole and then you have Joey Barton comparing Loftus-Cheeks cameo to Gazza....wtf?

==========================
"How you gonna live your dash?"
blueboy
Man City Fan TV Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by leopold on Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:52 pm

I thought the whole team showed glimmers of promise in the first half, despite some of the woeful finishing. We actually looked like we wanted to play to win and I put that down to the fact that Southgate has taken the brave (and very correct) decision to ditch all the old stalwarts who just expected to be there and play a much younger squad who would be hungry to prove themselves on this stage.  It was going very well until Alli got injured, after which point we looked a bit more laboured without his speed.  Southgate should've switched him out a lot sooner than he did, as Loftus-Cheek looked like he'd have made a much bigger nuisance of himself to their defence given another half an hour.

Sterling worked hard, but he just wasn't getting the support and I felt pulling him in the second half wasn't the right call.

Granted, Kane bagged the goals we needed and I'm not going to argue against him as he put himself in exactly the right places to nick goals, which is why he's there.  I'm putting Lingard's finishing down to first night nerves, but he really ought to have had two himself in the first half.

The second half was much worse. We were laboured and it was like watching us under Pellers: lots of possession with no real drive to push forwards. I got the impression the main reason we looked spare going forwards was down to the fact they were getting next to no service thanks to the continual back-passes from midfield.

That said, there were some players who impressed. I thought Maguire got stuck in well, a few mistakes aside.  Walker was solid enough in defence and covered his area well when under attack, although I did feel he was a bit fortunate not to be sent off for his wayward arm. And even Henderson, who I've never rated, was a steadying influence and his long balls were excellent. But the one who impressed most was Trippier. He had a solid game, kept his head, always looked to get the ball forwards, was driven to get the winner and took some belting corners.  It's the first time I've seen him play where I've thought we probably shouldn't have moved him on.

I thought defensively, when under pressure, we looked all over the place and against a better team we'd have been punished hard.  Maybe having a back three consisting of at least two players out of their regular position wasn't ideal, but it's not like there's a wealth of talent we could pick from, so perhaps we're going to have to rely on possession rather than counter-attacking, which is worrying, but we are where we are.

But what did give me some hope was that nobody's head went down. We kept at it even when Tunisia went ultra defensive and there seemed to be a belief that if we kept plugging away, we'd eventually get what we deserved.

Not having the weight of expectation is clearly helping the players as they played with a freedom I've not seen from an England side in a tournament for a long time.  I dare say we'll come seriously unstuck against the stronger sides, but the seeds are clearly there for the future and if Southgate can keep them sufficiently motivated then we stand a good chance maybe even winning a game at the knockout stages for once!
leopold
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blisteringblue on Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:32 pm

I see the BBC have singled Sterling out as their headline as shit.   If I was him I would seriously just come home and shove 2 fingers up to them.  The vitriol against the lad is just shocking.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44523498

Guaranteed he will be on the bench next game, and a crocked Ali won't
blisteringblue

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy on Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:31 am

What makes it even worse Scott, is the unbelievable arse-licking the media give to Mo Salah.

Played when he wasn't fit, so probably assisted towards their defeat and probable exit from the WC...then you have the likes of David Maddocks of the Mirror writing on Twitter:

This is REAL courage from @MoSalah to still impact the game with such an obvious injury. I hope his World Cup is remembered for a real pride in his nation and his bravery in trying to carry the weight of expectation of 100m Egyptians on that dodgy shoulder.

I mean, talk about utter guff. Loads of replies to it - some saying it would be nice if you showed such support for England's No.10 instead of Egypt's. Other saying he had a bruised shoulder FFS.

I said "you used the word REAL in caps when talking about courage?"

This is REAL courage!!!

blueboy
Man City Fan TV Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonchester on Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:40 am

I read that one early on yesterday. I honestly thought it MUST be taking the what-not.. but replies under seemed to be deadly serious with it..

some strange folk out there on the internet...
Moonchester

Back to top Go down

Post by ManCityMan on Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:56 pm

"Jesse Lingard is usually assured in front of goal and can still be relied on, but there is no escaping the brutal truth that Raheem Sterling's England goal record is wretched and must improve soon." 

Phil McNulty on the BBC Football Site

So Lingard can miss far more chances than Sterling did but be excused because he had an off day but Sterling was just his usual shit and needs to get his finger out?????
ManCityMan

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy on Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:53 am

blueboy
Man City Fan TV Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Radley on Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:00 pm

If the photos from the training ground are correct, it looks like Raheem may be dropped at the weekend for Rashford. No problem with that if Southgate makes it clear it’s nothing to do with the media shitstorm. He’s one of many England players whose place is up for grabs - only Kane is a nailed on starter for me. What’s more troubling is the choice of language used against him, either directly or indirectly. The Kane comments - polite, no tats, nation can be proud etc - are a, not even thinly, veiled attack on Raheem, and are utterly disgraceful. They’ll justify them by saying they never mentioned him by name which is just cowardly. I honestly believe the written press are terrified of offending Liverpool after the Sun tried it and got effectively banned on Merseyside. Offend Liverpool, offend the nation. The older I get the more I despise that club.
Having said that, this thread’s wandered off track a bit from the original question! Not a huge fan of the National Anthem personally. I’d just ask ‘em if they know when St George’s Day is!
Blue Radley

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy on Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:15 am

Are you talking about the piece of paper that named 2 players for every position?

Hardly a team-sheet...I see the Mirror deduced from that piece of paper that Sterling would be dropped. Amazing these journos how they can look at 22 players on a piece of paper...and from that start an article that says "Raheem dropped for Rashford" and now Talksport are discussing it.

From that piece of paper - why not Lingard dropped?

blueboy
Man City Fan TV Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by blisteringblue on Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:42 am

They are all willing him to be dropped Andy, vindicates all their shit.

Sterling should seriously shove 2 fingers to them all, announce International Retirement and come home.   All this will drive him abroad anyway, no wonder he is stalling on a new contract.
blisteringblue

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy on Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:08 am

He's stalled on every contract he's ever signed...and signed them in the summer. I'm personally not reading anything into that...but I agree with you, it suits the media agenda once again.

TBF, I think it pisses us off more than him.

blueboy
Man City Fan TV Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Radley on Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:37 am

"Are you talking about the piece of paper that named 2 players for every position?"

Yep, that's the one. I think the assumption is that the first name in each position is starting, the name below is their natural alternative. So Sterling out, Ruben in. It's not uncommon for these line-ups to be leaked deliberately to mislead opponents but if that's the case, it's a bit careless in this instance as it just adds more fuel to the Sterling media frenzy.
Blue Radley

Back to top Go down

Post by blisteringblue on Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:32 pm

Please don't ever let us be in for Neymar, after Pogba the most overrated player on the planet.  He is simply average at best.

Oh look, both more concerned about their hair than their football.
blisteringblue

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy on Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:20 pm

Blue Radley wrote:"Are you talking about the piece of paper that named 2 players for every position?"

Yep, that's the one. I think the assumption is that the first name in each position is starting, the name below is their natural alternative. So Sterling out, Ruben in. It's not uncommon for these line-ups to be leaked deliberately to mislead opponents but if that's the case, it's a bit careless in this instance as it just adds more fuel to the Sterling media frenzy.
Assumption....yeah, you're spot on.

I see that even the players and Manager have come and question the motives of the papers involved - The Mirror and John Cross in particular....as to why they would even start this rumour?

Matt Law from the Mail came out on Twitter and tried to defend the choice to show it - saying "well it's an open training session and they invited us"......that just sums it all up on one sentence. Headlines and clicks over the best interest of the National team.

blueboy
Man City Fan TV Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by leopold on Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:03 pm

I think Southgate summed it up best when asked about the piece of paper, saying that printing anything about a team sheet would hand an advantage to our opponents and that the media should decide whether they are backing our team or not. It's about bloody time a manager said something, even politely.  I thought he wouldn't be a good choice for England manager, but his response to this and the one about his dislocated shoulder are changing my opinion.
leopold
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy on Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:10 pm

I like him Leo....and for once, I really am behind the team at a tournament. He's picked a good young team and once again, the scummy press make waves for the team - all for clicks.

New video coming shortly on this.

blueboy
Man City Fan TV Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy on Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:08 am

blueboy
Man City Fan TV Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by ManCityMan on Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:49 pm

completely agree Andy, pundits have shooed it away saying that it did no harm and gave no opposition teams any advantage etc etc. What none of them have actually commented on is the way it was manipulated by scum like Cross to attempt to undermine Sterling yet again.
ManCityMan

Back to top Go down

Post by leopold on Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:14 am

blueboy wrote:I like him Leo....and for once, I really am behind the team at a tournament. He's picked a good young team and once again, the scummy press make waves for the team - all for clicks.

He has indeed picked a good young team and again yesterday, they played with an attacking intent that has been missing from our national side for a long time.  As for Southgate himself, I always thought he came over as a bit soft when he was the Boro manager, like he didn't have the strength of will or determination to make anything better. A nice enough guy, but not management material. But having seen him during this WC, I've seen something new: passion. He genuinely believes in what he's doing and it's clearly having an effect on the players as they all seem to be enjoying themselves. He's definitely winning me over, that's for sure.

ManCityMan wrote:completely agree Andy, pundits have shooed it away saying that it did no harm and gave no opposition teams any advantage etc etc. What none of them have actually commented on is the way it was manipulated by scum like Cross to attempt to undermine Sterling yet again.

I know.  It took, what, fifteen minutes for a pundit during the game to mention how Sterling hadn't had much of the ball (which he hadn't at the time, to be fair) and for them both to waffle on about whether or not is was a good idea to include him in the squad. It's a shame he didn't score from that free kick, really.
leopold
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy on Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:21 pm

Yeah, I have to be honest - he hasn't been great so far, but that's never been my point. If he's shit, I'll say so....but he's been as average as the likes of RLC/Lingard...but as Lingard scored a worldy, it's like that forgives all the misses he made in the first game.

As for Kane....yes, we know he's an out and out goalscorer...but the media love-in is sickening. This morning on TS, Danny Kelly was comparing him to Lineker because he's scored 5 goals. What he didn't say was the following:

1 was a tap in from 4 yards against Tunisia (the like all the pundits and fans claim Sterling only ever does).

1 was a good header from 4 yards out.

2 were penalties (good ones, but still penalties that 3 or 4 of the players on the pitch could have scored, but had no choice as Good Ol Harry wants the Golden Boot).

The other was a deflection off his leg that he had no idea about.

Apart from this, what I do see with Kane is that he offers absolutely nothing all game. Static. No runs, no hold up play - nothing. And I guess, if you score goals it masks these things and lets face it, if he scores 12 goals and it wins us a world cup, I'm sure we won't care....but the love-in is just pathetic with him.

It might help Raheem if Kane actually makes some runs like Sergio or Gabby does, instead of just standing there hoping a ball will go wide and a cross will be made for him to get on the end of.

blueboy
Man City Fan TV Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by shakencity on Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:25 pm

As I keep saying Andy.....Kane scores goals and goals win games. In Citys team he'll score 30+ goals...so save the Mahrez money n sign him next season.haha
shakencity

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy on Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:59 pm

Well...how much do you think he'll cost Den if he gets the Golden Boot? £250m? Razz Razz Razz

blueboy
Man City Fan TV Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by shakencity on Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:46 pm

Who cares...if City can comply with FFP by purchasing him, then get him bought.

It'll never happen, but imo he's the ideal replacement for Serge when he goes after this season.
shakencity

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonchester on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:11 am

he's done nothing, apart from score the goals..

do you honestly think for one second Pep will have watched those performances and thought he would do a job in our team?
Moonchester

Back to top Go down

Post by shakencity on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:46 am

Moonchester wrote:he's done nothing, apart from score the goals..

do you honestly think for one second Pep will have watched those performances and thought he would do a job in our team?
Umm...when Pep came to City, Serge just scored goals and his place was in jeopardy unless he changed.
Why would Pep not think...Wow, this lad scores goals, with my help he could be a fantastic all round team player who'll still get us 30 goals.
shakencity

Back to top Go down

Post by leopold on Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:29 am

shakencity wrote:
Moonchester wrote:he's done nothing, apart from score the goals..

Umm...when Pep came to City, Serge just scored goals and his place was in jeopardy unless he changed.
Why would Pep not think...Wow, this lad scores goals, with my help he could be a fantastic all round team player who'll still get us 30 goals.
That's a fair point. There's quite a few of our players who've benefitted from Pep's tutelage. It all depends on whether he thinks, "Yeah, with a bit of coaching he could be world class" or if it's more of a "Meh, he's got no agility, he's not going to cut it."
leopold
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy on Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:30 am

Think it will be a world record fee to get him.

blueboy
Man City Fan TV Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum