Bluemoon Legends
Hi there fellow Football lover! Welcome to 606 Bluemoon Legends Forum. Have a good time and any problems, let me know.

Kindest regards
Leopold
Bluemoon Legends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 441 on Sun May 22, 2011 10:20 pm
Latest topics
» 23/24 Prediction League
Wilshere......spot on? EmptyYesterday at 6:51 am by Jwils2710

» Pep’s at it again
Wilshere......spot on? EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:39 pm by Topdawg

» Nijinsky tips
Wilshere......spot on? EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 12:08 pm by Nijinsky

» I can't believe it
Wilshere......spot on? EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 11:11 pm by titbumwilly

» Today's game
Wilshere......spot on? EmptySun Jan 14, 2024 11:04 am by skyblueoz

» Happy christmas Blue Moon Users & Guests
Wilshere......spot on? EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 8:30 am by shakencity

» Bloody Rubbish
Wilshere......spot on? EmptySun Dec 24, 2023 4:08 pm by skyblueoz

» World Cup Final
Wilshere......spot on? EmptyMon Oct 30, 2023 11:21 am by shakencity

» The Man City Academy - What' the point?
Wilshere......spot on? EmptyFri Sep 22, 2023 4:02 pm by lee1pen

» Transfer business - good or bad?
Wilshere......spot on? EmptyFri Sep 08, 2023 3:44 pm by Nijinsky

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Wilshere......spot on?

+2
leopold
shakencity
6 posters

Go down

Wilshere......spot on? Empty Wilshere......spot on?

Post by shakencity Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:27 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24455721

How on earth can this young whipper snapper at the Rags be eligible to play for upto 5 countries (ours in 5yrs time), it's all a load of bollocks.

What's the betting that Wilsheres comments will be taken out of contex and opens up a whole can of worms. I personally couldn't agree more with him and this line just about sums it up:

"If you live in England for five years it doesn't make you English".

Well done Jack!
shakencity
shakencity
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Wilshere......spot on? Empty Re: Wilshere......spot on?

Post by leopold Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:02 am

He's eligible in the same way most of Jackie Charlton's Republic of Ireland squad were.  I remember all the jokes about his selection criteria:  Got an Irish grandfather?  You're in.  Your brother owns an Irish wolfhound?  You're in.  You once had a pint of Guinness?  You're in.  Your name is Dion Dublin?  Let me know if you can't get a game for England.

Zanzibar qualifies because of his mixed parentage and was born in a different country to where any of his family were from.  It's the same technicality that allowed Zola Budd to run for England in the Olympics, or for Martina Navratilova to play tennis for the Americans.

Technically, Jack is right about this 5 year rule.  However, if Januzaj decides to wait in order to play for England, it kind of suggests he wants to, which will automatically make him better than almost all of the others, who appear to have this idea that it's their god given right.
leopold
leopold
The Boss
The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:30 am

He's qualified for 8 or 9 countries (all the former Yugoslavia countries), Albania, Turkey, Belgium and Kosovo (if it ever enters a team)
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by shakencity Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:43 am

It's still bollocks Razz
shakencity
shakencity
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by leopold Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:54 am

Of course it is.  All it does is mask our ability to produce our own world-class players.  And given we've got the second largest population in Europe, we should at least be able to create as many top notch players as Spain.
leopold
leopold
The Boss
The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:57 am

It's a nonsense, however, it's not just as simple as saying - "if you're not born here, you don't qualify".

Imagine going on holiday with your wife to Dubai. Your wife's pregnant and goes into early labour and your son is born in a Dubai hospital.

Or, your father is a British diplomat who travels the world. You were born in Hong Kong, have lived in 4 or 5 countries over 10 years, but for the past 5 years you have lived back in the UK and play for Man City's EDS team, both parents are English......do you qualify?

Are you English?
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:11 am

shakencity wrote:It's still bollocks Razz
Exactly I'm scottish, have lived in England for 44 years (out of 45) and I would still NEVER play for England.   What is he thinking ...

Laughing

I'll get my coat Arrow

Back to top Go down

Post by leopold Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:16 am

It's a bit like my great nephew.  He was born in Scotland, so technically he's Scottish.  However, his mum was born in Malaysia and is half Malay, half Chinese.  His dad was born in Brunei, the son of an English woman and a Bruneian father, who was half Indian.  So what the hell is he?

I'll tell you.  He's a massive City fan.  Good lad Very Happy
leopold
leopold
The Boss
The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by shakencity Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:45 am

Leo,
You great nephew's Scottish....end of.

Blue,
exceptional circumstance can be excused but this lad stayed in Belgium until he was atleast 16. Now he's moved to England all of a sudden he seems to have forgotten where his loyalties lie.

If I were the Belgium FA i'd tell him to piss off and go and play for Serbia, Kosovo, Albania and the like.
shakencity
shakencity
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:48 am

With this kid, I totally agree Shaken....that's why i'm saying, it's really difficult and needs rewriting and rethinking.
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by meltonblue Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:26 pm

I remember there was talk a few years ago of changing it so that if someone spent five years or more in the education system, then they can be considered. This way of doing it though, I think Wilshere is right, I don't like it and the home nations have always had additional criteria to other countries to stop it from happening.

If you move as a child and go to school here for five years, then I think that is very different to this case where you move here at 16 effectively to work.
meltonblue
meltonblue
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by shakencity Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:45 pm

Thing is Glyn, as a lad growing up playing football, surely your dream is to make it as a professional and maybe just maybe if you're very lucky pull on your countries jersey.

I can't help but wonder at what stage in this lads head, did this dream you have as a growing child change?

How can you ever contemplate representing another country? Truely baffling!
shakencity
shakencity
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by meltonblue Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:18 pm

I agree completely Den, the one thing I would say with the Januzaj thing is has he actually ever said he was contemplating England himself?

If you think of someone like Farah or Sterling, then they moved to Britain at a young age and went through the education here so I completely get how they would feel British.

Someone moving here at 16 or 18 purely for work though, I don't get and I don't think Janujaz would either in all honesty!
meltonblue
meltonblue
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:30 pm

I don't think we'd all be debating this if Kosovo had a team.

The fact that his home country has no team, his parents are from different countries and he was forced to flee Kosovo may mean he has to look at other countries at International level....but which one do you choose?

If England didn't have a national team, you were a professional footballer living in another country......and they offered you the chance, would you say "no", England or nothing?
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by meltonblue Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:42 pm

True blueboy.

For me, the biggest thing missing so far is Januzaj's opinion himself, for all we know (and I think most likely), he doesn't want to play for England anyway, I would imagine it would be between Albania and Belgium.
meltonblue
meltonblue
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:51 pm

Totally agree...all he's said is won't decide right now.
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ManCityMan Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:34 pm

I was born and raised by 2 Manc parents who grew up not far from the Etihad, my grandparents are buried in Phillips Park cemetary and i consider myself to be a Manc (although my parents moved us to Langley near Middleton after i was born, it was a new overspill estate for Manchester at the time but later was stuck under Rochdale council) Embarassed.
I myself moved to Scotland in 1978 and my kids rightly consider themselves Scottish albeit with mixed parentage. They could represent England or Scotland at sports (although its unlikey as they inherited my lack of sporting prowess). Similar to Shaken even though i would qualify under the residency rule i would never, ever play for Scotland. Wink  
In an ideal world we would only permit people that were born in England to English parents that have never lived anywhere else to represent England but that is unrealistic in our multi cultural society and perhaps a bit jingoistic and parochial.
Many people move to England or other parts of the UK from all around the world to make their home here why should they be excluded from representing their adopted country because of narrow minded attitudes like "you can't play for us you're not proper English, Welsh, Scottish etc"
ManCityMan
ManCityMan
Key Player
Key Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down