Bluemoon Legends
Hi there fellow Football lover! Welcome to 606 Bluemoon Legends Forum. Have a good time and any problems, let me know.

Kindest regards
Leopold
Bluemoon Legends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 441 on Sun May 22, 2011 10:20 pm
Latest topics
» Have it - Four in a row
Cheesy blog EmptyToday at 9:59 pm by Topdawg

» 23/24 Prediction League
Cheesy blog EmptyToday at 8:49 am by Jwils2710

» So, it's another last day shoot out.
Cheesy blog EmptyFri May 17, 2024 5:36 pm by Topdawg

» Today's game
Cheesy blog EmptyThu May 16, 2024 1:25 pm by skyblueoz

» Pep’s at it again
Cheesy blog EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:39 pm by Topdawg

» Nijinsky tips
Cheesy blog EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 12:08 pm by Nijinsky

» I can't believe it
Cheesy blog EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 11:11 pm by titbumwilly

» Today's game
Cheesy blog EmptySun Jan 14, 2024 11:04 am by skyblueoz

» Happy christmas Blue Moon Users & Guests
Cheesy blog EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 8:30 am by shakencity

» Bloody Rubbish
Cheesy blog EmptySun Dec 24, 2023 4:08 pm by skyblueoz

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Cheesy blog

+4
blueboy
skyblueoz
shakencity
Topdawg
8 posters

Go down

Cheesy blog Empty Cheesy blog

Post by Topdawg Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:19 am

http://www.mcfcforum.com/latest-news/3632-ian-cheeseman-blogs-absent-friends

Criticising any fan for not attending a game is unfair and unnecessary. For 95% of the population, and I include myself in that group, living is expensive. Life is a struggle with lots of demands on your hard earned cash.

Family, food, travel – everything costs money, and as I’ve taught my boys, you have to make choices. One of those choices is to be a football fan who attends games. When I started going to games on a regular basis in the 1970s my parents paid for my tickets, but as I got older I had to pay for my season ticket and travel, and it was me that had to beg a day off work for midweek games. Football was cheaper then than it is now, and most games were played on a Saturday at 3pm, that’s why I started my working life as a bank clerk. Banks closed at 330pm weekdays and at weekends.
I became involved in the City Travel Club as a steward, which eventually earned my free train ticket, that helped. In the 1980s I got married and my life changed. I had responsibilities, I was finding it even harder to survive with a family, and harder to finance my football obsession.
It’s a long story, which I tried to explain in my book “Best Job in the World” but I started to get involved in the media when City fans were banned from a game at Luton, which (not as easy as it sounds) led to me eventually building a career in the media and a full time job at the BBC.
My aim was to see City in every game, home and away, and still be able to afford to live.
Through determination and luck I got my dream job and currently get paid to watch City and other games too.
I get annoyed when I see and hear fans, who’re not as lucky as me, being criticised for missing games. I know how difficult and expensive it is. Those fans have to buy expensive season tickets, get to and from games, plan their working life and social life around fixture changes at unpredictable times. Some are told they’re not real fans if they don’t buy all three expensive replica shirts a season.
City have loyal fans, most were there through the harder times, but now the club is re-positioning itself, aiming for a new generation, who might not even want to go to every game, but who can afford to pay for tickets and are lured by the quality of football and success that the club has been enjoying. It’s a part of growing, and those new fans should me made as welcome as anyone else, without them the club can’t grow (significantly) and comply with FFP, but on the other side of that coin, some of those newer fans don’t feel the need to go to every match, especially midweek games that are being shown on TV.
Why then do former (millionaire) footballers, turned pundits feel the need to “have a go” at “missing fans”? Are they really that detached from the real world?
All real fans have to do is to have the club in their heart, whichever club that is, and support them in whatever way they can, whenever the can. All fans of your football club whether there, or there in spirit, should be treated with the same amount of respect!
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Cheesy blog Empty Re: Cheesy blog

Post by shakencity Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:38 am

Well Ian, i suggest you get the 2 Rag tossers on GMR and ask them that exact question.

Cheesy's a top man bytheway.
shakencity
shakencity
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by skyblueoz Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:45 am

he should've tweeted that to camel chops the drug cheat & the ginger minger who graced many a changing room after being sent off.I have always said I am ctid but I could never ever have afforded to follow city home & away even back in the 70's living in Brighton. One thing is for sure though for better or worse they are the only team for me & always have been.
skyblueoz
skyblueoz
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:54 am

I think the point is fair. For example, I'm 44.

From the age of approx 6/7, I went with my dad and uncle to nearly every home match for years. We stood in the open corner of the Kippax and I took turns sitting on the shoulders of my dad and uncle at times, or under my dads coat when it pissed down.

I went on in my teens to buy my own season ticket, but only for a few seasons as I went to Australia in the hope I could stay and never come back....that trip lasted 14 months.

On my return my job took me all over the world, so having a season ticket was pretty pointless, however, I still kept it and still managed to go to loads of games wherever possible for years.

We had our first child in 97 and things changed, responsibilities changed....where before, if I was off at a weekend I could call up some mates pretty much go whenever I could. Weekends then became more about my son and my wife, spending quality time with them and of course, spare cash became less and less when my second lad came along just before the Millennium.

With 2 lads now, both small, my wife decided to go back flying, so we were juggling our jobs, our child minding duties and our finances, now we had moved to a bigger house.

I still went to a fair few games, but nowhere near the amount I would have liked to have gone to.

As the kids got older, we started taking them to matches, but getting season tickets, again, would be pointless due to our jobs not being a 9-5.

Over the past 7 years, I've been all over the world with my job, so even though we had the finances to purchase season tickets, it didn't seem to make any sense to.

The last year I've set up my own business, so my time is my own, however, the dynamics have changed outside of work.

I've been running our local football team for the past 3 years, we train on a Saturday until 13:00....and with living in Chester, we'd be hard pressed to get to the game at 15:00.

We play our games on a Sunday - 14:00 KO....so that rules out lunchtime and 16:00 KO's.

Therefore, I'm left for possibly a Monday night game or Cup, European games.

So it's not always about the 'money' with fans, though that does play a massive role for some. I could afford a season ticket for all of us and we're lucky to be able to do that, but with regards to logistics, it's pointless.

However, it doesn't make me love my club any less, or feel like I love my club any less.

I so wish I could be at every single game with what we are achieving now, as I could only dream for that in the 80/90's when I followed City all over the country.

So I applaud those who spend their hard earned cash on season tickets and those that have to dig deep whenever the chance comes along to go and watch their team...and those that don't, shouldn't be accused of being 'plastic' or an 'armchair' fan....as nobody may know their reasons why they can't go.
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:09 am

I didn't go to many matches as a kid as we simply couldn't afford it. Times were hard, especially after my father lost his job so going to matches was impossible. Things improved as a teenager and I started going to matches here and there with mates and my cousin.

Work took me down south. It was expensive to live in London and I didn't have the time either with having to study for professional exams. I started going to away games instead especially when you could just turn up and pay at the turnstile. City weren't great in those days and a match would still cost me over £50 in ticket and travel (We are talking 1990) and that was a big chunk out of my hard earned.

When I moved back up north, I started going to a few home matches again. I started my own business and worked 6 days a week so time was a constraint again.

I got a season ticket a few years ago and went whenever I got the chance to home matches and away cup matches. I could get tickets for places like Wolves in the CC cup, so I was happy doing that.

Now, living in France, it is tough to get to many matches. I used to get to quite a few home games when the kids were young and not in school but it is very difficult these days. I still have my seasoncard and my eldest has one too, but I'll struggle to get to 10 home matches each season (including European and cup games). If we go to Wembley, I'll go with whichever kid I can take.

Once again, it isn't money but priorities.
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:19 am

Agree Dawg.....for some it is the prices of tickets, for others its the logistics. Of course, United fans can say "but we manage to fill, or nearly fill our stadiums every game"....but their fan base is far greater across the UK than ours, as is Liverpool's, due to their successes in the 80/90's. Therefore, they have a much broader catchment of fans to buy spare tickets for games.

Just for example: let's say we were to have 200,000 fans across the UK alone. United and Liverpool will have at least 600,000 who will snap up any spare tickets. Every time I have flown from Helsinki to Manchester on a Saturday, the plane is 60% full of Liverpool fans. From Dublin to Manchester, the same but United fans.....and then you've got the whole 'Southern reds'.

We have to accept that we're not a bigger club than these two, but that fan base has been built on the success of their clubs over decades....so maybe, it will be my kids who will struggle to get their tickets in 10/15 years time when our fan base has trebled due to our success....
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by leopold Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:44 am

I do my level best to get to every home game.  I'm in all the cup schemes, so I don't have to worry about missing out on tickets.  I only ever miss the odd game due to family commitments.

However, given the level of debt I have, I really could do with using the money to pay that off a bit quicker.  But then I think, hell, we're a long time dead, screw the bank!

However, I have noticed a disturbing trend.  My salary never makes it to the end of the month at the best of times, but it's getting increasingly short.  I suspect, some time in the next couple of years, I'll have to forego the cup schemes and just go when I can afford it.
leopold
leopold
The Boss
The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by TMG Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:50 am

I am quite happy to admit I am now an armchair fan

In the late 70s 80s & 90s I went to every home game & many away games & the occasional Burnley game as my father was a massive Burnley fan
I watched with great joy City beat Newcastle in the LC Final. I was only a little kid and had to watch it from my dads shoulders 

I lived near Heaton Park & then Bury. I went to many Bury games when City werent playing on the same day at home 

Priorities change. I moved down South to find work. Got married had kids etc.. etc..
I now live close to St Albans. I do shift work & work 1 in 3 weekends so it would be pointless for me to buy a season ticket. I can afford it but I dont want to travel and the £100 plus cost for a match including travel can be far better spent elsewhere Im afraid

I have been to several Wembley matches in the last few years even though I am not a full time supporter and this will rightfully piss off some who couldnt get a ticket, who go to all the matches. The FA Cup day out when we beat Stoke, our first trophy for 35 years was one of the greatest and happiest days of my life. I never thought I would live to see the day City won anything ever again ! I cried with joy ! 
And then the title win on the last day of the season !
I dont think I've ever been happier !! (Sorry Mrs TMG)

I watch every City game usually with pounding heart & massive frustration either on TV or Tinterweb. The Cityitis is still running deep in my veins. 

I love Man City. it is in my blood. I spend far to much time on here, other sites and looking at anything City related & I have spent a fortune on kits & other memorabilia. I have spent many thousands of pounds in the 70s 80s and 90s when i used to go regularly so I feel quite justified in calling myself a City fan. Ive even managed to recruit my 6 yr old nephew into the City ranks. He is the only City fan in his class at school in South London  Smile

So U can call me an armchair fan, plastic or whatever I dont give a fuck I am a City fan & will always be a City fan til i die !!!
TMG
TMG
Key Player
Key Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:06 pm

I'd hardly call you an armchair fan TMG, you've served your apprenticeship. An armchair fan is more likely to have never been to the club they support or has no connection to them.

I supported City because my cousin did and he went to some matches. Then it gets into your blood. Whenever I can I watch matches live. Or I'll watch on the telly live. Or watch  the highlights. I'll watch the kids playing if I get the chance. I've spent far too much in the club shop on kits and clothing. My wife reminds me when she she sees my wardrobe half full of City shirts!
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by shakencity Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:43 pm

Well, here's my story then.

Born n raised in Radcliffe. My Dad 1st took me to Maine Rd in 1978 (i was 7) and i was utterly enthralled by a blond haired winger...namely, Peter Barnes.....and that was it.
He also used to take me to Bunden Pk (don't, i feel sick at the thought) and to Gigg.....but Citys was always the ground i went to most and couldn't wait to go back to. I got my 1st football kit that Christmas (i'd just turned eight), it was a City one with the Umbro logo down the sleeve i think.

Meeting Paul Power the following year at Heywood Civic Hall (he gave the trophies out), is still to this day one of my greatest ever moments.....and i've been lucky enough to be introduced to some very famous (not just footballers) people since.

I kept going to Maine Rd until the age of 13, when my old man stopped taking me....maybe he couldn't afford it at the time. So for the next 3-4yrs i only ever went on the odd occasion when my Dad or Uncle wanted to go...as none of my mate supported City and i wasn't allowed on my own.

At 17 i was semi-pro with Radcliffe Boro, but chipped 3 bones in my ankle and would miss the rest of that season, so for the next 3yrs or so i started going in the pubs with my mates and to Bury games home and away.

I started back playing football again and going to matches would take 2nd place for the next 10yrs or so. Over that period i never stopped going to Maine Rd (or Gigg), but this was only now on the odd occasion, as it would be when they moved to their current home at Eastlands.

I then married and moved to Bury and as said priorities change, we had our daughter straight away and money was tight for a while....so no football.
I changed jobs the year after and through this luckily for me a few years later i met a fella who worked at City and could get me tickets. So for the last 4-5years every game i've gone to down at the Etihad has been courtesy of the Sheikh....sorry if that's pissed a few of you off.

Luckily, i'm now in a more stable financial situation and i can afford a season ticket (and the Mrs lets me)....along with my Dad and mi Brother i've had one at Bury for the last 3 seasons, but will be swapping that one, as you all know, for one at City next year.

If i could have afforded both, i would have got both, but i can't sacrifice (or should i say don't want to) my golf holiday with the lads or my Sky Sports for it.....and to be honest i'm quite happy with just the one.

All that said, i honestly can't wait for next season down at the Etihad......although i will have mixed feelings if Bury do get promotion this season.
shakencity
shakencity
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:00 pm

You're getting a season ticket at the Etihad next year Den? Why haven't you mentioned this before? Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by skyblueoz Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:06 pm

I've done the story b4 just to recap briefly Father was a cricket fan at Manchester uni in winter he used to go to utd one week city the next coz his mates were football fanatics. He had no allegiance to either. I heard the stories as a kid ( He left home when I was 7 yrs old.) Mum brought me up with 2 sisters Blue was a boys colour  red was 4 girls.No cash ever spare living in Brighton so no chance of seeing city live. When Brighton got to the 1st Division that was my first chance of seeing city live ( lost 4-0) early 80's. Managed to get to Maine road once & have been to the Etihad once. Will get in 2 poss 3 home games when I get over 1st Dec this year. Hopefully Burnley & Palace at home def Sunderland away & trying to get 1 in Jan b4 flight back 7th Jan.
skyblueoz
skyblueoz
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:14 pm

You going on your own Oz?
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:19 pm

One things for sure Oz, nobody will have travelled further to see your beloved City (unless there are some coming from Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney or NZ)!!!
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:21 pm

What about the Falkland Island blues?
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by shakencity Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:23 pm

Topdawg wrote:You're getting a season ticket at the Etihad next year Den? Why haven't you mentioned this before? Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

Thought i had Wink
shakencity
shakencity
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:32 pm

shakencity wrote:Well, here's my story then.

Born n raised in Radcliffe. My Dad 1st took me to Maine Rd in 1978 (i was 7) and i was utterly enthralled by a blond haired winger...namely, Peter Barnes.....and that was it.
He also used to take me to Bunden Pk (don't, i feel sick at the thought) and to Gigg.....but Citys was always the ground i went to most and couldn't wait to go back to. I got my 1st football kit that Christmas (i'd just turned eight), it was a City one with the Umbro logo down the sleeve i think.

Meeting Paul Power the following year at Heywood Civic Hall (he gave the trophies out), is still to this day one of my greatest ever moments.....and i've been lucky enough to be introduced to some very famous (not just footballers) people since.

I kept going to Maine Rd until the age of 13, when my old man stopped taking me....maybe he couldn't afford it at the time. So for the next 3-4yrs i only ever went on the odd occasion when my Dad or Uncle wanted to go...as none of my mate supported City and i wasn't allowed on my own.

At 17 i was semi-pro with Radcliffe Boro, but chipped 3 bones in my ankle and would miss the rest of that season, so for the next 3yrs or so i started going in the pubs with my mates and to Bury games home and away.

I started back playing football again and going to matches would take 2nd place for the next 10yrs or so. Over that period i never stopped going to Maine Rd (or Gigg), but this was only now on the odd occasion, as it would be when they moved to their current home at Eastlands.

I then married and moved to Bury and as said priorities change, we had our daughter straight away and money was tight for a while....so no football.
I changed jobs the year after and through this luckily for me a few years later i met a fella who worked at City and could get me tickets. So for the last 4-5years every game i've gone to down at the Etihad has been courtesy of the Sheikh....sorry if that's pissed a few of you off.

Luckily, i'm now in a more stable financial situation and i can afford a season ticket (and the Mrs lets me)....along with my Dad and mi Brother i've had one at Bury for the last 3 seasons, but will be swapping that one, as you all know, for one at City next year.

If i could have afforded both, i would have got both, but i can't sacrifice (or should i say don't want to) my golf holiday with the lads or my Sky Sports for it.....and to be honest i'm quite happy with just the one.

All that said, i honestly can't wait for next season down at the Etihad......although i will have mixed feelings if Bury do get promotion this season.

Meeting Paul Power a highlight? You get to chat to him on here every day!!! Razz

Mine will always be playing at Maine Road for Manchester Boys, 4-0 win over Derby Boys....I'll never til the day I die, forget that feeling of getting changed in the home team dressing room, walking out of the tunnel, warming up on the hallowed turf, then walking over and taking my place on the subs bench! Rolling Eyes

Still, it ended well. 0-0 at half time and the Manager brought me on and played me right wing, instead of CF. Set up 2 for Steve Coward our CF (who went on to score a hat-trick and was on City's books, before getting binned from Manc Boys, then City...but used to see him in back in the day at away matches - and I took his place upfront after that)....then rounding the keeper and shooting into an open net, only for their defender to slide in and knock it off the line, all in front of my dad and uncle, who all those years earlier, had me on their shoulders in the Kippax.

I rarely see my dad these days for one thing or another....but the last time I saw him last Xmas, he pulled out an old photo album from my footballing days (you know, the ones where you pulled back the sleeve and inserted a photo), along with some of my footballing photos, were cut-outs from The Pink and MEN, that used to write about the Manchester Boys match reports. I asked him for it so I could show my boys that their dad could play once...a long time ago. He said "no"....when I'm gone you can have it as I still look at the pictures and read the articles every now and then.

Still to this day, my lads don't believe I was pretty decent and had trials at 2 pro clubs....sadly not City! Crying or Very sad

blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:46 pm

I played at the Etihad a few years ago in a charity match. Might have mentioned it before, but David White was a right fat fucker.
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by shakencity Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Good times indeed blue.

The season i met Paul Power, we'd won the U11s Radcliffe "C" section title (winning all our games) and we'd lost in the open cup final to Radcliffe boys club 5-1...they'd won the "A" section without losing a game too.......it literally was a David v Goliath game.
Against all the odds i scored to put us 1 up and revelled in it (as most of my mates played for RBC), but that was to be the highlight for us as their star striker, a certain Mr Ian Thompstone scored all 5 of their goals......and look what happened to him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Thompstone
shakencity
shakencity
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:03 pm

When I started out at Manchester Boys, Jason Beckford was playing for us...and obviously, Darren used to come and watch.

I think I've mentioned it before that Ashley Ward played for us, even though he was a year younger.

I remember once playing against Salford Boys at Hyde and we came up against a giant of a striker who scored 3 and his younger brother was playing as well...who was also huge.....both went on to play Rugby, and one played for England and managed as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_Betts
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:14 pm

Wow, you guys have some stories to tell. I was just shit. I played for my school team and I remember we lost one game 18-0!!!
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:21 pm

Sounds like my current managerial career Dawg! Razz Razz Razz

2 other memories....one good/one bad.

Scoring at Ibrox on a Scotland Tour in 85 against a Scotland U17 team.

Pissing down with rain, water-logged pitch, 1-0 down and we got a penalty right before half time. I always placed my penalties, but on this occasion, I just leathered it in the hope it wouldn't get stuck in a puddle....it hit the cross bar and bounced over the line....the match got abandoned at half time...1-1!

The downside, we used to train every week at The Cliff. Rolling Eyes
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:27 pm

I remember at primary school that there was a kid that loved chess. It was all he had. He wasn't a high achiever at school and he didn't have many, if any, friends. I used to paste him. So did my brother. But this kid lived for chess and got better and better. I don't know exactly how far he got, but he had a FIDE rating of over 2250. The best in the world has a current rating of 2,800+ so this guy must have been pretty damn good.

My brother also bowled leg spin and he was bloody good at it. But he got bored and wanted to play football instead even though he was shit at football.

I remember playing in a park with some mates (one who had a trial for Surrey as a batsman)  about 20 years ago and my brother was spinning it a mile against a slope on a nothing pitch. We could hardly get near him. I wish he'd carried on when he was a kid as he could have made something out of his life instead of becoming a doctor...
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:35 pm

Topdawg wrote:I remember at primary school that there was a kid that loved chess. It was all he had. He wasn't a high achiever at school and he didn't have many, if any, friends. I used to paste him. So did my brother. But this kid lived for chess and got better and better. I don't know exactly how far he got, but he had a FIDE rating of over 2250. The best in the world has a current rating of 2,800+ so this guy must have been pretty damn good.

My brother also bowled leg spin and he was bloody good at it. But he got bored and wanted to play football instead even though he was shit at football.

I remember playing in a park with some mates (one who had a trial for Surrey as a batsman)  about 20 years ago and my brother was spinning it a mile against a slope on a nothing pitch. We could hardly get near him. I wish he'd carried on when he was a kid as he could have made something out of his life instead of becoming a doctor...

Cricket probably lost me my chance of a potential football career Dawg.

Well no, that's a lie....my lack of dedication did.

I used to play for Wythenshawe at cricket when I was young....played for the 2nd's when I was 14 and 1st's at 15....

I'd already had a trial for Blackburn to no avail...played pretty shit to be fair with a badly bruised ankle, but  then had 3 trial matches at Burnley. Scored 2 in my first, 1 in the second and 2 in the 3rd...and they called the house one afternoon, my mum and dad were at work and asked if I could play in another match on the Sunday. I said "no" as I had other commitments....a 2nd's final.

I didn't tell my mum or dad until about 3 months later when they asked why Burnley hadn't called back.

Let's just say....I wasn't the most popular kid in our house for at least 12 months.....and probably still not in my dads eyes now.

Wouldn't mind, I bowled and batted shit and we got pasted....think i took 1 wicket for 30+ off 4 overs and was out for 3 batting at 6.

Last edited by blueboy on Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:37 pm

Oh...and Manchester Boys cricket....but fucking hated it as it was full of Grammar school lads who spoke differently to me from Wythy!!
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:47 pm

Topdawg wrote:What about the Falkland Island blues?

Now that Dawg, would be a long and arduous journey...but approx 2,000 miles less.
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulpowersleftfoot Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:09 pm

I'm very fortunate in that my mrs has always encouraged me to go to the football,even when the kids were toddlers,as she always thought I needed the distraction to separate from a stressful job.
She's my PA now as well so sorts out all my travel arrangements to get to away games & European games so is fairly often with me if it's somewhere she fancies going for a few days now the kids can fend for themselves.
Strange she chose a weekend at the Ryder cup rather than coming with me to Hull though?

My gran used to run the City travel club in the 70s with Helen Turner so I got to go to loads of away games before I was 10 with her and a few European ones as well so really had the bug when I was in my teens. My dad used to take me and my brother and sister every home game to the Platt Lane but it wasn't long before I was in the kippax with my mates,used to be loads of us on the crossville bus from wilmslow 
Been a sort of ever present since then,most of my mates have dropped out due to varying circumstances over the years but there's still a crowd of us when we head over to Madrid or Barcelona/wembley but mostly it's odd occasions now,the pre and post match sessions in the red lion withington a distant memory.
Not sure whether it's price or circumstances that is the biggest cause of the poor CL attendances but to be honest it's difficult to make any judgement from my bubble in alderley edge
Paulpowersleftfoot
Paulpowersleftfoot
Key Player
Key Player

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:15 pm

My gran used to run the City travel club in the 70s with Helen Turner

Shit, didn't realise my wife was that old!!!! Razz
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulpowersleftfoot Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:21 pm

Tell he to put that fucking bell down
Paulpowersleftfoot
Paulpowersleftfoot
Key Player
Key Player

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:03 pm

Paulpowersleftfoot wrote:Tell he to put that fucking bell down

I used to sit about 10 rows behind her when I had my season ticket.....she was a legend, even if her bell was fucking annoying! Razz
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulpowersleftfoot Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:04 pm

Her house was great,full of City stuff everywhere you looked
Paulpowersleftfoot
Paulpowersleftfoot
Key Player
Key Player

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:10 pm

I can imagine....she lived in Ardwick or Longsight if I remember rightly..near a couple of mates who had season tickets with me at the time?

Her and Big Joe.....a distant love affair!! I love you
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by shakencity Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:14 pm

Is that the same person that still rings the bell now (surely not).....I heard it somewhere below me on Tuesday night?
shakencity
shakencity
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulpowersleftfoot Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:25 pm

I believe it's her grandson ringing the bell in the south stand now,she died a few years ago
Paulpowersleftfoot
Paulpowersleftfoot
Key Player
Key Player

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:27 pm

Yeah, she died at least 8 or 9 years ago.....
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by skyblueoz Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:05 am

sorry Dawg was away last night, Coming back for 6 weeks with the family. Probably my daughters last family xmas with grandparents ( wife's side ) as next year she will have her year 12 exams then be on the school leavers break so she wouldn't want to miss that.

A friend of the father in law is a season ticket holder so too is one of his daughters the other daughter is a city card holder. The daughter who is the season ticket holder has to work through December so I have been told I can use her season ticket & hopefully through the city card holder we should be able to get tickets for my daughter. My wife detests football so no problem there.

Last edited by skyblueoz on Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addressed answer to wrong person)
skyblueoz
skyblueoz
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:08 am

That'd be brilliant if you could Oz.

blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by skyblueoz Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:18 am

should be ok, wanted the Everton at home game but my daughter will be in paris catching up with her French exchange student who stayed with us july/Aug and wont be able to make it plus i don't want to push my luck with the mrs either as it will cost a few bob just for those games.
skyblueoz
skyblueoz
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:43 am

Do what PPLF does.....give her your credit card! affraid
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:47 am

Oz, I may not be around over Xmas and usually sell or give my tickets away. I have one adult and one child in the colin bell stand. Keep in touch if you are struggling to get a ticket. All you would have to do is pick up and drop off the seasoncards at my mothers (unless they allow me to get paper tickets instead).
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by skyblueoz Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:10 pm

Thanks dawg will bear that in mind/ daughter is 16 now what constitutes a child? secondly whereabouts is your Mothers place?
skyblueoz
skyblueoz
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:25 pm

Others may know better, but I read somewhere U16s are kids. My mother lives in Rochdale.
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonchester Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:14 am

Mine is more kids at the minute, 1 and 3 they are too small to take both with me as the (now) wife usually works weekends I'm entertaining the rugrats.
Still try to get to a few games a season, even if it's midweek carling cups I can get cheap ticket for my old man now he's got a bus pass and he drives up from Stoke, drives us to the ground and buys us a chippy tea and a pint, normally a good trade off.
Moonchester
Moonchester
Key Player
Key Player

Back to top Go down

Post by skyblueoz Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:22 am

looks like i'll have to saw the daughters legs off as she is taller than me at 5ft 9ins then maybe they will think she is under 16?
skyblueoz
skyblueoz
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down