Bluemoon Legends
Hi there fellow Football lover! Welcome to 606 Bluemoon Legends Forum. Have a good time and any problems, let me know.

Kindest regards
Leopold
Bluemoon Legends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 19 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 19 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 441 on Sun May 22, 2011 10:20 pm
Latest topics
» 23/24 Prediction League
Pretty much spot on EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 3:57 pm by skyblueoz

» Pep’s at it again
Pretty much spot on EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:39 pm by Topdawg

» Nijinsky tips
Pretty much spot on EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 12:08 pm by Nijinsky

» I can't believe it
Pretty much spot on EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 11:11 pm by titbumwilly

» Today's game
Pretty much spot on EmptySun Jan 14, 2024 11:04 am by skyblueoz

» Happy christmas Blue Moon Users & Guests
Pretty much spot on EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 8:30 am by shakencity

» Bloody Rubbish
Pretty much spot on EmptySun Dec 24, 2023 4:08 pm by skyblueoz

» World Cup Final
Pretty much spot on EmptyMon Oct 30, 2023 11:21 am by shakencity

» The Man City Academy - What' the point?
Pretty much spot on EmptyFri Sep 22, 2023 4:02 pm by lee1pen

» Transfer business - good or bad?
Pretty much spot on EmptyFri Sep 08, 2023 3:44 pm by Nijinsky

Top posting users this month
No user

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Pretty much spot on

5 posters

Go down

Pretty much spot on Empty Pretty much spot on

Post by shakencity Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:21 pm

When Manchester City announced that Pep Guardiola - the world's most coveted and celebrated manager - would succeed Manuel Pellegrini in the summer, there was not a cloud on the club's horizon.
City had effectively been building a home waiting for Guardiola to move in and the man any club in the world would want in charge was finally ready to take up residence after leaving Bayern Munich.
What was not part of the plan was a slump in form that raises the possibility of Guardiola taking charge with City in the Europa League - a prospect that must now be considered as Manchester United closed to within a point of Pellegrini's fourth-placed side with a 1-0 win at Etihad Stadium on Sunday.

What has been happening to City's season to leave them in this perilous position?

Has Guardiola news distracted City?

This is an easy accusation to make and can be supported by the fact City have won only three games out of 11 since Guardiola's arrival was confirmed in an announcement in February - but is it actually true?
City have won a trophy - the Capital One Cup at Wembley against Liverpool - since then and it would be doing Pellegrini's squad a kindness to suggest they have only become indifferent and below-par since it became known Guardiola was on his way.
They have also made club history by reaching the quarter-finals of the Champions League for the first time with victory over two legs against Dynamo Kiev - but the signs of decline were in evidence well before 1 February.
Manchester City have not been at their best for any period since they began the season with five straight Premier League wins. They had already lost five league games before the Guardiola announcement was made.
City won their first three away games in the Premier League but only two of the next 11 and have not won back-to-back league games in five months. The rot set in long before they started getting ready to put Guardiola's name on the manager's office door.
It is hard to believe City's players have been dwelling on the Spaniard's arrival during games and in an uncharacteristically prickly post-match media conference after the United loss, Pellegrini was at pains to deflect suggestions Guardiola was providing an unwelcome distraction.
He said: "I don't think I have lost any control. The attitude of the team was excellent. I repeat - I am happy with attitude of the players."
Guardiola's impending arrival may have focused minds on City's shortcomings - but this was a team showing signs of struggle and decline well before he was confirmed as Pellegrini's successor.

City can't beat Premier League's better sides

Manchester City are only one point ahead of Manchester United and West Ham even though they still lie fourth, and 15 points behind leaders Leicester City having played a game less.
The rest of the season is not about winning the title but finishing in the top four - an embarrassing state of affairs for a club with City's aspirations and scale of ambition.
And perhaps the most tell-tale statistic of why they are where they are comes in their record against the current top eight.
City have played 11 matches against them, winning only one, drawing three and losing seven for a meagre return of six points. They also lost heavily home and away to ninth-placed Liverpool.
Their total of 51 points from 30 games is a grim reflection of their struggles throughout the season.
In 2011-12 they had 70 points at this stage of the season, the following year they had 62 points and 67 when they brought the title back to Etihad Stadium in 2013-14. Last season they had 61 points after 30 games.

What will be Guardiola's priorities?

Guardiola's first priority will be to keep everything crossed that stumbling Manchester City can keep it together long enough to make sure they finish in the top four - or win the tournament of course - to ensure they are in next season's Champions League.
He inherits a squad that is guilty of under-achievement this season, even though they have won the League Cup and remain in the Champions League.
City's buying policy has been flawed to such an extent in recent years that they still rely heavily on the backbone of the side that won the club's first title in 44 years in 2012 - namely keeper Joe Hart, captain Vincent Kompany, midfield pair Yaya Toure and David Silva, as well as striker Sergio Aguero.
Around that key group others have not achieved, while there are problems even with those players. Kompany is 29 and suffering from acute calf problems, Toure is 33 in May and was sold by Guardiola at Barcelona, while even the peerless Silva is now 30 and has been troubled for many months by an ankle problem.
Guardiola will be happy with Hart in goal and will want to build around 24-year-old Kevin de Bruyne, who has been such a big miss through injury in recent months. He will also want Raheem Sterling, a £49m summer signing from Liverpool, to justify that fee.
He may well target Everton's 21-year-old John Stones to give youth and authority to a central defence that is still holed below the waterline by Kompany's many absences, with Martin Demichelis looking every day of his 35 years and more against Manchester United and both Nicolas Otamendi and Eliaquim Mangala not showing a return on a combined investment of around £70m.
Wilfried Bony was signed for £28m from Swansea City as the likes of Edin Dzeko and Stevan Jovetic were allowed to depart, but it is hard to see a striker who lacks mobility surviving under Guardiola.
In defence, Bacary Sagna is 33 and coming towards the end of his Premier League career, while Pablo Zabaleta is 31 and Aleksandar Kolarov is 30 - this is a City team that has been allowed to grow too old, with poor signings exacerbating the problem.
Jesus Navas has been poor and Samir Nasri has provided moments of magic and mediocrity.
So Guardiola's priorities will be to freshen up and introduce young blood into a stale squad, while also bringing authority to all parts of the pitch, especially in central defence and in giving attacking support to Aguero.
For all City's ability to flex their financial muscle, he will find that a lot easier to do with them in the Champions League rather than the Europa League.

Could Pellegrini finish on a high?

The 62-year-old Chilean has one trophy in his locker in his final season but there will be no Premier League title - he is relying on the Champions League to give the campaign a flourish because a top-four finish should be a given, not a source of celebration.
Pellegrini has brought Manchester City to the last eight of the Champions League and the draw has been relatively kind as they avoided the big three of Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich to be paired with Chelsea's conquerors Paris St-Germain.
It is a tough task - one a City squad firing on all cylinders might just fancy - but right now they are seriously underpowered.
Pellegrini has been dogged by those injuries to Kompany, De Bruyne and Silva and matters got worse on a bad day against Manchester United as Sterling and keeper Hart suffered injuries that mean they may miss the PSG games.
Hart's calf injury looked a serious problem as he was taken off on a stretcher after rescuing Demichelis from a dreadful back pass.
Sympathy will be in short supply if City cite injuries given their resources - but they are facing real problems.
City will be in dreamland if they can get into the Champions League's last four but it is hard to see them, in their current state, troubling the trio of superpowers in this competition.
It may well be that the League Cup and a place in the top four will have to suffice before Pellegrini takes his leave.
shakencity
shakencity
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Pretty much spot on Empty Re: Pretty much spot on

Post by blueboy Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:01 pm

Can't argue with that....BUT.

Fernandinho is omitted and has been our best player this season.

I don't see blame being apportioned to a misfiring Aguero, a pathetic Navas and a total anti-thesis of loyalty, in TLMLF.

What about the buying atrocity of the Spanish duo? Apart from KDB, their signings haven't been great - and yes, I'll include Sterling in that - even though I think, with a half-decent Manager, he'll end up being worth the money that we shelled out on De Bruyne.

For me, we saw United play a young kid, giving him his chance - a bit like MP did with Kelechi. Both proved to be an instant hit.The difference being, do you see LVG abandoning Rashford's youth for a record signing in Depay? No. He played him, he scored goals, he stays in the team.

On the other hand, our manager decides to consistently drop Kelechi in favour of an overweight, TLMLF replica, effort wise striker...why??

We see our bitter rivals giving the likes of Lingard the opportunity to grow into a PL player. We on the other hand, spend £8m on an England U21 International, don't play him, then send him on loan to Celtic - Celtic FFS, all the time playing a useless fucker wide right, who offers us fuck all in attack. 1 goal in 74 games......FFS, if that's not a reason to drop him, what the fuck else does a City player have to do to be dropped??? And there, lies the root cause of the problem. NO COMPETITION for places. NO using of the younger kids who will give EVERYTHING for the shirt. Yes, they may not have the best of games to start with, but we've seen with the likes of Delli, Dier, Rashford, etc etc...if you don't give them a chance, you'll never know. Surely, they can't play with less passion, less commitment and less ability than some of the players who our Manager consistently put's his faith in?

It's embarrassing....

Let's hope with this International break, we can get KDB and Nasri back at least - possibly Hart and Otamendi.

AND, if this pathetic Manager decides to stick with the likes of Navas and Bony after this break, then prospective clubs should look at him, look at what he's doing - and steer well clear.
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:14 pm

Furthermore, if age is the problem, then looking at our 'general' first 11, Pep needs some serious reinforcements:

Players to remain as a potential starting 11:

Hart
?, Otamendi/Mangala, ?, ?
Fernandinho, ?
KDB, ?, Sterling
Aguero

And I'm only including the CB's on age...though both aren't good enough.

That's 6 world class players needed - just for our starting 11.

It's a mess....a mess brought on by our buying/selling policy over the past 3 years.
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by TMG Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:21 pm

Yeah fully agree. Think that article was from the BBCs Phil McNulty who if I'm not mistaken is a rag
However it is a completely fair assessment
TMG
TMG
Key Player
Key Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:03 pm

I'm sure I've said it before, these two clowns only got the job, and retained it, because they promised Pep.

Sorry, they must have spent the best part of £300M since they've been here (just thinking of Kev for £55M, Sterling for £44M, Bony for £28M, Mango for £32M, Otamendi for £26M, Delph for £8M, Willy for £5M, Fernando for £12M, Fernandinho for £26M, Unal £2M, MDM £3.5M, Zuculini £1.5M, Jovetic £20M, Navas £15M,) and who is world class out of that lot?

Kev and Fernandino are the only ones I'm happy about. Some of the others may come good, but we could have got a new team for that money. 6 or 7 really decent players like Sanchez and maybe even Suarez (though I don't like the goofy toothed git).

Actually, I don't want to think about it, it'll just piss me off more.
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by ManCityMan Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:39 pm

The way Pellegrini is shafting us at the moment i would sack him now and let Kidd take the remaining games. He can't be any worse than hopeless fuckwit!
ManCityMan
ManCityMan
Key Player
Key Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down