Bluemoon Legends
Hi there fellow Football lover! Welcome to 606 Bluemoon Legends Forum. Have a good time and any problems, let me know.

Kindest regards
Leopold
Bluemoon Legends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 10 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 10 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 441 on Sun May 22, 2011 10:20 pm
Latest topics
» 23/24 Prediction League
Stan the man....my memories! EmptyYesterday at 11:22 am by TMG

» Pep’s at it again
Stan the man....my memories! EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:39 pm by Topdawg

» Nijinsky tips
Stan the man....my memories! EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 12:08 pm by Nijinsky

» I can't believe it
Stan the man....my memories! EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 11:11 pm by titbumwilly

» Today's game
Stan the man....my memories! EmptySun Jan 14, 2024 11:04 am by skyblueoz

» Happy christmas Blue Moon Users & Guests
Stan the man....my memories! EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 8:30 am by shakencity

» Bloody Rubbish
Stan the man....my memories! EmptySun Dec 24, 2023 4:08 pm by skyblueoz

» World Cup Final
Stan the man....my memories! EmptyMon Oct 30, 2023 11:21 am by shakencity

» The Man City Academy - What' the point?
Stan the man....my memories! EmptyFri Sep 22, 2023 4:02 pm by lee1pen

» Transfer business - good or bad?
Stan the man....my memories! EmptyFri Sep 08, 2023 3:44 pm by Nijinsky

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Stan the man....my memories!

2 posters

Go down

Stan the man....my memories! Empty Stan the man....my memories!

Post by shakencity Thu May 03, 2012 9:04 am

This was the League fixture i longed to see, Man City v Bury. I never ever expected to see it (and probably never will again) but somehow Citys demise towards the back end of the 90s had made it happen.

I went to the Tuesday night sold-out Gigg Lane fixture actually hoping for a draw, that's exactly what happened, David Johnson scoring for Bury early in the 2nd half and the blues LB equalising with a header from a corner for City in the 82nd minute (can't for the life of me think what he was called). Inbetween Georgie Kinkladze had a penalty saved by super Dean Kiely to preserve the Shakers slender lead.

Due to my football committments on Saturdays, i couldn't get to Maine Rd for the reverse fixture but couldn't believe the score when we all returned to the pub after our game. Even i couldn't believe how little Bury had imo done the impossible......to this day i regret not going.

The reason i've posted this is because of the article on the BBC sports website today (which i'll post below) with Stan Ternant. I actually spoke to Stan when i went to a corperate do at Gigg a couple of weeks ago. I jokingly said "they're not as good as the 96/97 team are they?" refering to our successive promotions. Never putting the lads down he smartly replied "No, but they're not a bad bunch".

To this day, during my time he's been the most successful manager at Gigg and will always be held in high esteme by me, it was an absolute pleasure to meet and talk to the fella we call Stan the man.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17926208
shakencity
shakencity
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Stan the man....my memories! Empty Re: Stan the man....my memories!

Post by AMillionDifferentPeople Thu May 03, 2012 10:16 am

Got a lot of time for Stan, as honest as they come. Unfortunately i was at Maine Road for the reverse fixture Den, and Kiely was immense that day, like most times he played against the Blues. That was a 'typical City' day, thank fuck we don't get many like them now.
AMillionDifferentPeople
AMillionDifferentPeople
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by shakencity Thu May 03, 2012 10:32 am

We've had some top keepers at Bury over the years, Neville Southall, Paddy Kenny, Phil Hughes and Gary Kelly but Dean Kiely was something special. He had a presence and bravery that adhered him to the fans, he'll always be remebered by us for his penalty save in the 89th minute at Watford to keep the game goal-less, we needed a draw to gain promotion too.

ps. Thanks for your comments Si. Just wanted to share one of my memories from one of Burys very rare good times (i'd have prefered 2 draws tbh).
shakencity
shakencity
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by AMillionDifferentPeople Thu May 03, 2012 10:41 am

Laughing I would have too Den, but Bury fully deserved the win, they played like a proper team that day, like City are now. Bury seem in a good place atm mate, after some troubled times, great to see. All the best to them, except against the blues when/if they meet Smile

Got a lot of time for Kiely, i see him often as i live round the corner from the baggies training ground, he is a legend in these parts too.
AMillionDifferentPeople
AMillionDifferentPeople
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down