Bluemoon Legends
Hi there fellow Football lover! Welcome to 606 Bluemoon Legends Forum. Have a good time and any problems, let me know.

Kindest regards
Leopold
Bluemoon Legends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 441 on Sun May 22, 2011 10:20 pm
Latest topics
» 23/24 Prediction League
Euorpa League Winners to enter CL EmptyToday at 8:49 am by Jwils2710

» So, it's another last day shoot out.
Euorpa League Winners to enter CL EmptyFri May 17, 2024 5:36 pm by Topdawg

» Today's game
Euorpa League Winners to enter CL EmptyThu May 16, 2024 1:25 pm by skyblueoz

» Pep’s at it again
Euorpa League Winners to enter CL EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:39 pm by Topdawg

» Nijinsky tips
Euorpa League Winners to enter CL EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 12:08 pm by Nijinsky

» I can't believe it
Euorpa League Winners to enter CL EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 11:11 pm by titbumwilly

» Today's game
Euorpa League Winners to enter CL EmptySun Jan 14, 2024 11:04 am by skyblueoz

» Happy christmas Blue Moon Users & Guests
Euorpa League Winners to enter CL EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 8:30 am by shakencity

» Bloody Rubbish
Euorpa League Winners to enter CL EmptySun Dec 24, 2023 4:08 pm by skyblueoz

» World Cup Final
Euorpa League Winners to enter CL EmptyMon Oct 30, 2023 11:21 am by shakencity

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Euorpa League Winners to enter CL

3 posters

Go down

Euorpa League Winners to enter CL Empty Euorpa League Winners to enter CL

Post by leopold Fri May 24, 2013 12:04 pm

So the plan to have the Europa League winners get automatic qualification to the Champions League has now come to pass, meaning that the prize isn't just a twisty trophy, but a pass into the prestige of Europe's premier competition.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22640095

Or is it? Given most of the teams that reach the latter stages are CL dropouts from the same season and are likely as not to qualify again the next season anyway, is this really that much of an incentive?

I still think the CL is way too diluted with so many teams in there that are champions of nothing. It should be league champions only in a knockout competition, in which the EL winners could then participate. Then, make the EL about cup winners and fill with the league also-rans, which would pour bigger clubs into it and increase it's popularity.

Or would that just suck too much money out of the G14 clubs?
leopold
leopold
The Boss
The Boss

Back to top Go down

Euorpa League Winners to enter CL Empty Re: Euorpa League Winners to enter CL

Post by Jordan Fri May 24, 2013 12:10 pm

I like the way it is already. Although I don't get why 3rd placed teams in the league rounds end up in the Europa League - shite rule.

About time the winner of the Europa League had the chance in the Champions League though.
Jordan
Jordan
Regular Starter
Regular Starter

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Fri May 24, 2013 12:18 pm

We all know footy is about money now so I can't see them slimming down the CL to be more meaningful rather than cash cow oriented.

Sensible move to allow the winners of EL to go to CL directly.

Just need to get rid of the fair play bollocks rule allowing clubs to get into EL by 'playing fair'
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by leopold Fri May 24, 2013 1:30 pm

Jordan wrote:I like the way it is already. Although I don't get why 3rd placed teams in the league rounds end up in the Europa League - shite rule.
It is. When you look at the clubs that go through the process of qualifying, then going through the group stages, they should find themselves in what the Europeans delightfully call the "Round of 16". Having worked that hard to get there, they shouldn't then find themselves getting landed with a load of clubs from the CL, some of whom are leviathans that just missed out on getting through the CL groups themselves and end up sweeping aside all these other clubs who've worked so hard. Almost every year, the EL winner is a CL cast-off.

Topdawg wrote:Just need to get rid of the fair play bollocks rule allowing clubs to get into EL by 'playing fair'
I don't mind the idea of a club getting in on fair play, but the way it's applied is dreadful. The highest placed team in the "fairest" country, that hasn't already qualified in Europe gets the nod, how ridiculous!! There's clubs in other leagues who miss out because of a few dirty teams who ruin the party. Not to mention the fact it's usually Scandinavian clubs who get through, largely (I suspect) down to their officials not being so card-happy, so their leagues usually end up at the top of the pile.
leopold
leopold
The Boss
The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down