Bluemoon Legends
Hi there fellow Football lover! Welcome to 606 Bluemoon Legends Forum. Have a good time and any problems, let me know.

Kindest regards
Leopold
Bluemoon Legends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 15 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 15 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 441 on Sun May 22, 2011 10:20 pm
Latest topics
» 23/24 Prediction League
A 'veteran' playing footy again...any tips EmptyFri May 03, 2024 11:01 pm by shakencity

» Pep’s at it again
A 'veteran' playing footy again...any tips EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:39 pm by Topdawg

» Nijinsky tips
A 'veteran' playing footy again...any tips EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 12:08 pm by Nijinsky

» I can't believe it
A 'veteran' playing footy again...any tips EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 11:11 pm by titbumwilly

» Today's game
A 'veteran' playing footy again...any tips EmptySun Jan 14, 2024 11:04 am by skyblueoz

» Happy christmas Blue Moon Users & Guests
A 'veteran' playing footy again...any tips EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 8:30 am by shakencity

» Bloody Rubbish
A 'veteran' playing footy again...any tips EmptySun Dec 24, 2023 4:08 pm by skyblueoz

» World Cup Final
A 'veteran' playing footy again...any tips EmptyMon Oct 30, 2023 11:21 am by shakencity

» The Man City Academy - What' the point?
A 'veteran' playing footy again...any tips EmptyFri Sep 22, 2023 4:02 pm by lee1pen

» Transfer business - good or bad?
A 'veteran' playing footy again...any tips EmptyFri Sep 08, 2023 3:44 pm by Nijinsky

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

A 'veteran' playing footy again...any tips

4 posters

Go down

A 'veteran' playing footy again...any tips Empty A 'veteran' playing footy again...any tips

Post by Topdawg Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:37 am

I started playing footy again this season, just to help me shed the lbs as I was starting to look a bit too shabby.

I haven't played for many many years. Last time I played in a league was about 20 years ago, though I used to play 5 a side until about 7 years ago.

I'm 45 now and the body is creaking a bit.

What started out as just for fitness hasn't actually worked out that way. Groin strains have curtailed my training sessions with my club to about 5 or 6 since September. After last night, my achilles problem has flared up again meaning I can hardly walk today.

Anyway, they've now asked me to play for their vets team. They must really be desperate for players as I'm shit, but I keep running up and down. Sunday mornings starting at 9.30!

Any tips for someone who wants to have fun but still be able to walk after the game?

PS No recommendations to put wintergreen on my balls to keep warm as I've seen the consequences when a mate tried that at school.
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

A 'veteran' playing footy again...any tips Empty Re: A 'veteran' playing footy again...any tips

Post by shakencity Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:19 am

Don't do it mate  Laughing .
In all honesty it's a personal preference, but the fear of injury at my/our age (and i like the odd tackle or 2  Very Happy ) doesn't make it worth the risk anymore.

I still get mithered and mithered by my old Vets team to turn out, but it's just not worth the hassle at our age tbh....they actually invited me this week to play in a friendly game on Boxing Day, i said no, but i'll meet up with them all for a drink after the game.lol

Join a gym or run on the streets is my advice.
shakencity
shakencity
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

A 'veteran' playing footy again...any tips Empty Re: A 'veteran' playing footy again...any tips

Post by blueboy Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:21 am

Are you on about avoiding injuries, warming up etc...dealing with the next day?

Groins - a warm-up is essential to avoid injury recurring...obvious, I know...but how many take the proper amount of time to warm up, stretch etc??

Achilles - now that's a different story I'm afraid. If you haven't done a great deal of exercise for many years, then the chances are, unless you start to regularly do low impact exercise now, for the future.....it will always be less prone to deal with a game like football.

Are you any good in net? That's a start where you are still on your feet, without heavy impact on the Achilles.

After the game...a good warm-down, have a cold shower or bath when you get home, followed by a warm shower.

It's time taking it's toll I'm afraid....when you haven't done anything for so long...you'll need to take it easy until you get back into it again.
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:59 am

I'm still in reasonable shape but not as fit as I'd like to be.

I do plenty of warm ups, maybe too much. 10 laps of the pitch last night and lots and lots of stretching. I think the new boots fucked the achilles up a bit as I'm not used to them.

I just love those freezing cold baths after training!
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by shakencity Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:14 pm

Topdawg wrote:
I just love those freezing cold baths after training!

Really?.......much prefer a red hot shower myself  Laughing 
shakencity
shakencity
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:41 pm

I was being a little sarky, but they do work. It was already well below freezing when I got home and that cold bath really wasn't any fun.
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by skyblueoz Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:00 pm

5 years ago at the age of 49 I was around 11 kilos overweight and doing nothing except vegging out in front of the telly. My father in law had just had his 70th birthday and was still playing squash for the county in the veterans league. I thought bugger this if he can do it so can I . I shed the weight in about 7 months and barring 1 serious injury took 5 months to heal & a bit of tennis elbow it is the best thing I ever did I play twice a week for around 2 hours per session. Since the injury I put on 3 kilos which I havn't been able to shed and that was 3 years ago now.
skyblueoz
skyblueoz
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by skyblueoz Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:03 pm

I guess dawg what I was alluring to on the ramble above  is to take up something like squash which gives you a good cardio work out and will make you a darn sight fitter for football. That in itself will ease the aches & pains.
skyblueoz
skyblueoz
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:09 pm

Oz, I run a little at the moment as well as some rowing and cycling (on machines). I used to play badminton but kids are older now and I just can't get out of the house as much as I used to.

Last year I put on tons of weight over the summer and come September worked my arse off to lose the weight before we went on holiday in December. I managed to lose nearly 10KG in 4 months. I put 3KG back on on about 10 days on holiday though and it has slowly piled back on. Why do hotel restaurants have buffet breakfasts? I was getting through 1,500 calories on breakfast alone!

I'm still in better shape than last year but it's hard to pass up a game of footy, even at my age!
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by skyblueoz Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:17 pm

well the only other suggestion to keep the weight off is a ab cruncher on a bench. I got one of these contraptions & usually after a couple o weeks bin them. I decided to give this one a go in a matter of weeks 3 to be precise I was doing 100 sit ups a day, this was really good for the fitness & you can do this without leaving the house & takes all of 10 to 15 minutes a day. Once again it boils down to the fitter you are the less likely you are to get seriously injured.
skyblueoz
skyblueoz
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:53 pm

I'm doing about 100 crunches a day now....lol it would seem I'm pretty fit but it's not good enough. I really want to lose at least 4KG but that is gonna take a level of discipline that is tough for me to cope with.
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:05 pm

Got my first outing for my club on a cold, but sunny, Sunday morning. Half a match was more than enough for me.

We were 3-2 down at half time, eventually losing 4-2 with the opposition scoring with the last kick.

Pretty pleased with my own performance as a rampaging full back, keeping things simple most of the time.

On the injury front, both achilles are knackered and one calf is killing me.

Hopefully, I'll be fit to put in another stint next Sunday. Hah, I've even looked at a website to see how to a scissors type stepover (no chance of that happening though).
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:27 pm

Dawg.....you are the Bluemoon Legends, very own:

A 'veteran' playing footy again...any tips Pablo+Zabaleta+Manchester+City+v+Queens+Park+_a0fC0A4rZZl
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:32 pm

TBF, I have about as much skill as the ball!

Sounds daft, but I'd like to learn some more skills even at my age. My club basically does a bit of fitness training and then we play a game. Most players are too old to do anything else!
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down