Bluemoon Legends
Hi there fellow Football lover! Welcome to 606 Bluemoon Legends Forum. Have a good time and any problems, let me know.

Kindest regards
Leopold
Bluemoon Legends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 10 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 10 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 441 on Sun May 22, 2011 10:20 pm
Latest topics
» 23/24 Prediction League
The BBC lose The Open EmptyWed May 08, 2024 1:49 pm by skyblueoz

» Pep’s at it again
The BBC lose The Open EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:39 pm by Topdawg

» Nijinsky tips
The BBC lose The Open EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 12:08 pm by Nijinsky

» I can't believe it
The BBC lose The Open EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 11:11 pm by titbumwilly

» Today's game
The BBC lose The Open EmptySun Jan 14, 2024 11:04 am by skyblueoz

» Happy christmas Blue Moon Users & Guests
The BBC lose The Open EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 8:30 am by shakencity

» Bloody Rubbish
The BBC lose The Open EmptySun Dec 24, 2023 4:08 pm by skyblueoz

» World Cup Final
The BBC lose The Open EmptyMon Oct 30, 2023 11:21 am by shakencity

» The Man City Academy - What' the point?
The BBC lose The Open EmptyFri Sep 22, 2023 4:02 pm by lee1pen

» Transfer business - good or bad?
The BBC lose The Open EmptyFri Sep 08, 2023 3:44 pm by Nijinsky

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

The BBC lose The Open

2 posters

Go down

The BBC lose The Open Empty The BBC lose The Open

Post by shakencity Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:01 am

The 'voice of golf' has hit out at the BBC as it emerges that the corporation is expected to lose a broadcasting deal that stretches back to 1955.

The BBC lose The Open A3971c10-a15c-11e4-86fe-19b164bb4cb1_alliss
Peter Alliss (BBC)

Legendary golf commentator Peter Alliss has laid into his employers as it emerged that the BBC will no longer broadcast The Open from 2016.
The BBC has broadcast the event since 1955 - with Alliss commentating for 40 of those 60 years - and while nothing has been confirmed it has been widely reported that Sky Sports will take over the event.
Though Sky will undoubtedly be able to pay far more, the R&A has always preferred to keep the flagship event on terrestrial television given the broader audience which helps drive interest in the game.
They no longer seem willing to make that compromise, however - and the man known as "the voice of golf" is furious that the corporation hasn't done more to keep the tournament.

"I’m just glad I am 83 not 35 and reliant on working for the BBC’s sports department, because I think I would be looking for another trade," he told the Daily Mail.
"In one sense it seems to me it’s like playing poker against Donald Trump or Warren Buffett in that the BBC can’t compete against Sky’s bottomless pockets of money. And you can’t deny Sky do a fantastic job.
"You might be annoyed at the adverts but they go to faraway places and cover these events even though there might be only eight people watching on Thursday. Their commitment to show everything is extraordinary.
"But, hand on heart, I can’t not criticise the BBC. They are far and away the R&A’s biggest television client, so why haven’t they said to them: 'You know, we’re struggling against the financial might of Sky but why don’t we also cover some of the other events you run, like the Amateur Championship and the Boys Championship and the Walker Cup?'
"We used to do those events years ago, so why not again? I think it would have shown the R&A that they cared. I definitely think going back there were people who fought harder to keep tournaments on the BBC. At one point we covered 18 events.

"Now you look at the move up to Manchester and how many millions that cost, and you wonder about the value in that. This week we’ve got two or three hours of indoor bowls on each day which of course is of great interest to the people who play it but no interest at all to anyone else.
"I guess for some people it’s progress but for people like you and I, it seems a move in the opposite direction."
shakencity
shakencity
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

The BBC lose The Open Empty Re: The BBC lose The Open

Post by Topdawg Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:07 am

It'd be interesting to see the viewing figures for indoor bowls and golf's lesser events.

The BBC can't compete with SKY over the money and oneday, however romantic people want to be, money wins.
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by shakencity Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:42 am

I can't believe the viewing figures are gonna be that high tbh, but i watch some the bowls, as my step brother got his tour card this year and played at Potters for the 1st time (the one that's on TV now). He plays for England and is ranked 25 in the world, sadly he got beat off the World No1 (Paul Foster) in the 1st round.....talk about a tough draw though.

http://www.worldbowlstour.com/world-rankings/2014-2015-world-rankings

Sadly, money does win Dawg and the BBC will always lose out....next to go will be the exclusive rights to Wimbledon.
shakencity
shakencity
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:19 am

There isn't much left that's exclusive to the BBC. Cricket's gone and the counties/ECB got big money yet many counties appear to be on the breadline. There will be nothing of note left unless the beeb has a commercial arm.
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down