Bluemoon Legends
Hi there fellow Football lover! Welcome to 606 Bluemoon Legends Forum. Have a good time and any problems, let me know.

Kindest regards
Leopold
Bluemoon Legends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 17 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 17 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 441 on Sun May 22, 2011 10:20 pm
Latest topics
» 23/24 Prediction League
What should the speed limit be on a motorway? EmptyYesterday at 11:22 am by TMG

» Pep’s at it again
What should the speed limit be on a motorway? EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:39 pm by Topdawg

» Nijinsky tips
What should the speed limit be on a motorway? EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 12:08 pm by Nijinsky

» I can't believe it
What should the speed limit be on a motorway? EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 11:11 pm by titbumwilly

» Today's game
What should the speed limit be on a motorway? EmptySun Jan 14, 2024 11:04 am by skyblueoz

» Happy christmas Blue Moon Users & Guests
What should the speed limit be on a motorway? EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 8:30 am by shakencity

» Bloody Rubbish
What should the speed limit be on a motorway? EmptySun Dec 24, 2023 4:08 pm by skyblueoz

» World Cup Final
What should the speed limit be on a motorway? EmptyMon Oct 30, 2023 11:21 am by shakencity

» The Man City Academy - What' the point?
What should the speed limit be on a motorway? EmptyFri Sep 22, 2023 4:02 pm by lee1pen

» Transfer business - good or bad?
What should the speed limit be on a motorway? EmptyFri Sep 08, 2023 3:44 pm by Nijinsky

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

What should the speed limit be on a motorway?

2 posters

Go down

What should the speed limit be on a motorway? Empty What should the speed limit be on a motorway?

Post by Topdawg Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:25 pm

When the speed limit was introduced all those years ago, it was at a time when there weren't that many cars on the roads and their mechanics and technology was pre-historic by modern standards.

As shown on top gear on Sunday, an ordinary car would need to be doing well over 100mph to stop within the 315 feet as directed by the highway code. That test was slightly flawed in that The Stig knew exactly when he had to hit the brakes rather than it being a sudden emergency.

Having said that, that stopping distance is seriously outdated and I think the the top speed limit should be raised. The French system isn't bad at all as it takes into account the weather conditions. If the weather is fine, the limit is 130kph (81mph) and if the weather is bad then it is dropped to 110kph (68mph). I'd favour similar speed limits in the UK and don;t see any reasonable reason not to raise the limit to at least 80mph (which most people do anyway).
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

What should the speed limit be on a motorway? Empty Re: What should the speed limit be on a motorway?

Post by blueboy Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:45 pm

Problem is..all those cars on Top Gear had carbon ceramic brakes. 

Try stopping that quickly in 2001 Ford Fiesta after passing your test 12 months earlier....and being a woman!! Razz
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

What should the speed limit be on a motorway? Empty Re: What should the speed limit be on a motorway?

Post by Topdawg Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:54 pm

The Stig did it in a vauxhall astra (or something similar). I remember having to slow down very quickly on the M6. The bloke two cars behind me couldn't manage to stop before hitting the car behind me. All I saw was his bonnet flying into the air. Maybe he was driving too close (probably). That's an issue with raising the speed limit though.
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down