Bluemoon Legends
Hi there fellow Football lover! Welcome to 606 Bluemoon Legends Forum. Have a good time and any problems, let me know.

Kindest regards
Leopold
Bluemoon Legends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 8 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 441 on Sun May 22, 2011 10:20 pm
Latest topics
» 23/24 Prediction League
Sterling... what happened?! EmptyYesterday at 6:51 am by Jwils2710

» Pep’s at it again
Sterling... what happened?! EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:39 pm by Topdawg

» Nijinsky tips
Sterling... what happened?! EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 12:08 pm by Nijinsky

» I can't believe it
Sterling... what happened?! EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 11:11 pm by titbumwilly

» Today's game
Sterling... what happened?! EmptySun Jan 14, 2024 11:04 am by skyblueoz

» Happy christmas Blue Moon Users & Guests
Sterling... what happened?! EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 8:30 am by shakencity

» Bloody Rubbish
Sterling... what happened?! EmptySun Dec 24, 2023 4:08 pm by skyblueoz

» World Cup Final
Sterling... what happened?! EmptyMon Oct 30, 2023 11:21 am by shakencity

» The Man City Academy - What' the point?
Sterling... what happened?! EmptyFri Sep 22, 2023 4:02 pm by lee1pen

» Transfer business - good or bad?
Sterling... what happened?! EmptyFri Sep 08, 2023 3:44 pm by Nijinsky

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Sterling... what happened?!

+3
leopold
Topdawg
blueboy
7 posters

Go down

Sterling... what happened?! Empty Sterling... what happened?!

Post by Guest Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:34 pm

I have a question and I have been thinking of different reasons but how can a counter attacking player with awesome dribbling skills, speed, vision and goal scoring ability turn into another Navas??!!

Not just him, our players seem to be getting worse under this manager. Isn't one of his jobs player development?

Back to top Go down

Sterling... what happened?! Empty Re: Sterling... what happened?!

Post by blueboy Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:44 pm

I personally think it's hard for Sterling. He's dropped to the bench and expected to suddenly change a lethargic approach on his own. The set up of the team is all wrong....if Sergio can't change it, why are we questioning a 21 year old to do it and add more pressure onto his shoulders?

I just don't get this Sterling-bashing.

The only person responsible here is the Manager...his tactics are fucking useless.

Navas doesn't warrant a place anywhere near this team...yet he starts ahead of Sterling, one of our marquee signings?

Bony starts ahead of Kelechi in a 2 up front when he offers fuck all? We're away from home, knowing we'll have possession for most of the game if we want it - and the manager picks 2 up front with 2 holding MF's? Well 3 if you count the stupid fucker at CB who thinks he's some attacking midfielder....god knows what a decent team would do to his positional sense!!

This Manager doesn't have a Plan B, C or D...IN FACT, HIS PLAN A IS SHITE!

No invention....no motivation, no bollocks. He sent them out today with a mindset to play for the CL next week....and for that, he wants fucking off right now.

He's no charming man, he's a cunt.
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:52 pm

Sterling offered gash all, as he's done most of the season. He's pretty fast, and that's about it. He hasn't got intricate close control like Silva, Aguero, Nasri and Yaya. He can't see or deliver passes like them either. He's lightweight in the tackle and goes to ground too easily. His shooting boots are like Silva's - not great at all.

A few time today, and many times this season, he's been one on one with his defender and just shows him too much of the ball or tries to kick and run without any trickery at all. Consequently, he loses the ball far too much. Silva is slower but has the ability to get past his man, something Sterling needs to learn. A little feint, drop of the shoulder or stepover can give him half a yard and then he can burst past the defender. Aguero showed some great skill when he slowed down and then hit the afterburners and skated past the defender (who brought him down). A little nouse is all I'm asking for.

I don't care one jot about his age or price tag - he's in our first team so should play like a first team player
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:03 pm

Ok, I'll bow to your greater knowledge - or greater hatred of Sterling.

Just remember one thing....Aguero is supposed to be the all round world class player - he started today and was a guilty as most. Silva, supposed world class, was awful again.

We're talking about supposed world class players here, who both started, not got 28 minutes to change a game that they should have.

As for price tag - that's not Sterling's fault, nor is the fact that he's 21 and suddenly, gets dropped to the bench by this manager and expected to do wonders in cameos for 20+ minutes.

We all have our thoughts...I just think some are unfair on calling out Sterling over this performance and some of the others when he's been brought on as a sub.
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:40 pm

You're wrong bluey. I don't have a hatred of Sterling, I just don't think he's that good. I've called out Aguero quite a few times, even in matches when he's bagged a couple of goals, for being too greedy at times etc.

Sterling got 1/3 of the game to show his stuff. If you can't expect him to do anything in that time, he might as well have stayed on the bench.

He's not been all that this season. How can you expect a kid of 24 to come to the PL (after only 3 PL games in his career) and hit the ground running? KdB has done just that. Sterling has played 142 games for club and country so I don't think his age should really come into it. He's played plenty of games and is in his 4th year in the PL.

Did Sterling play well against Liverpool when he started last week? I know no-one did but he started the game there and wasn't up to much.
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:56 pm

Gents you are missing my point! Smile

You both agree that Sterling was good for the dippers? Yes?

All I am saying is I don't think top players can turn shite over night! Right?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:00 pm

I think the problem with MP is he is not a great tactician but he is a good father figure for the players!!!

First season his plan worked ish! After that any crap manager with a badge has outsmarted him including Hughes!!! I mean Hughes!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:11 pm

Yes Sterling was very good for the dippers except for the last season.
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by leopold Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:28 pm

Sterling was good for the dippers when Suarez was there. He clearly did something to make Sterling play better, whatever it was. And when he left, whatever it was left with him. Serge clearly isn't providing what Suarez did.
leopold
leopold
The Boss
The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:34 pm

When Suarez was there, they had a fair bit of decent attacking talent. Sturridge, Coutinho, Suarez and Sterling. Liverpool were playing with a lot of confidence and freedom. He was watching Suarez do some amazing things and this probably all rubbed off onto him.

Being at city is different.
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:39 pm

Right now we are missing one key requirement for winning games. Fight!

Not sure why Sterling has turned into Navas but something stinks at the club and someone ought to sort it out before we drift into Thursday trips to Midgitland and Faro Islands!

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonchester Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:04 pm

Sterling clearly isn't at his best playing with chalk on his boots wide left..
yet he isn't getting inside, you have to imagine this is managers tactics..
Moonchester
Moonchester
Key Player
Key Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:10 pm

diaz and roberts would have done something out there, I'm sure of that.  They just need to be told not to worry about losing the ball. We had so much possession, and Navas and Sterling did so little with the ball, we could have taken that risk.
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:14 pm

The C word has shipped Roberts out for 1.5 years with no option to call back but I bet he will be shipped back if he gets crocked!

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:27 pm

Topdawg wrote:diaz and roberts would have done something out there, I'm sure of that.  They just need to be told not to worry about losing the ball. We had so much possession, and Navas and Sterling did so little with the ball, we could have taken that risk.

Bollocks Dawg, sorry, but the game was already set in motion by the time Sterling came onto the field.

I'm not saying he's been a game changer for us in the ilk of KDB, but FFS, get off the kids back.

He consistently gets dropped to the bench by the Manager. Is that helping his confidence or giving him a chance to make an impact if he comes on with 20+ mins to go when the team has been fucking useless? No.

I just don't like this whole, 'calling out Sterling'....every time the team plays shite and he comes on as a sub.

For me, the likes of Aguero can run around all the fuck he likes, but if his end product is shit, which it was again today, then give him some verbal! Silva likewise, was fucking awful once again. Maybe it's time he's dropped and left to recover over ANOTHER injury....we've all crooned over these two players, but it seems to me that some overlook their contribution in games whereby they've contributed fuck all, to pick on a substitute and then claim he's done nothing all season.

If I remember rightly, he's still got more goals than any other LFC player and got 8/9 assists.

Maybe, if the likes of Silva and Navas could take a decent fucking corner or set piece, maybe we'd have had more goals! Neither can take a set piece to save their life.

So, for me, it's unfair to point today's game at Sterling, regardless of what you think Dawg.

Far too many players have underperformed, players who are supposed to be world class....and yes, I'll put Sergio into that bracket as well as Silva.

Maybe a place on the bench wouldn't harm these so called world class players every now and then.

I know they'e been brilliant for us in the past, but lets face it...Silva's been woeful for most of the season, and he's one of my favourite PL players ever - but I'm not going to gloss over his effort and performance and blame some other easy targets.

The set up, once again, was all wrong...but that doesn't excuse the shit passing we saw today.

Watch the next game against Kiev, they'll be brilliant and turn it on, which isn't acceptable.
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:31 pm

Just about every time Yaya plays, you complain about him bluey. You won't even call him by his name, that's how bad your hatred for him is.

I wasn't singling Sterling out in this game. But I agreed with other comments and I've said he's not done enough for us this season. We all have had a pop at the numbskull we call our manager for picking Bony for starters.
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:35 pm

Topdawg wrote:diaz and roberts would have done something out there, I'm sure of that.  They just need to be told not to worry about losing the ball. We had so much possession, and Navas and Sterling did so little with the ball, we could have taken that risk.

So Diaz and Roberts are now the solution over Sterling and Bony?

Come on.

You know I'm all for the kids, but lets get real. It'll never happen.

The problem is that MP hasn't got the bollocks to drop the big names, we all know that. But like I said, watch them put in a brilliant performance against Kiev, after putting in a shocker today.

They don't give a shit, none of them....they get paid their ridiculous salaries regardless.

I'm fed up of this nonsense...they all should take some fucking responsibility, regardless of this managers shit tactics..these are International footballers FFS. Pathetic.

Last edited by blueboy on Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:43 pm

Topdawg wrote:Just about every time Yaya plays, you complain about him bluey. You won't even call him by his name, that's how bad your hatred for him is.

I wasn't singling Sterling out in this game. But I agreed with other comments and I've said he's not done enough for us this season. We all have had a pop at the numbskull we call our manager for picking Bony for starters.

OK...tell me more than 3 games this season that you've crooned over his performance? In fact, tell me 5 games over the past 2 seasons?

My hatred is fuck all to do with his performances, you should know that. My hatred of this lazy fucking mercenary, is what he's said about our club, the disdain he's allowed his agent to spout...all when he's earning £240k pw...time and time again.

That's why I can't stand the fucker and won't use his name until he leaves....there's a difference in what he's done to our club, against a kid who consistently gets dropped due to the Manager's shitty team selection and then gets the route-blame for it.

Has TLMLF been a good player for us? Yes, 2 years ago. I used to really like him, but his outbursts are unacceptable, even if he scores the winner against the rags next week, he'll never be a legend in my eyes, like he should have been if he kept is mouth shut and just thanked the club for making him a multi, multi millionaire...and his fuckwit agent!

That's the route-cause of my dislike for him....not form, not money - his complete and utter belligerence for our club, that happened 20 months ago - that's why I won't use his name.
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:59 am

I suppose you are ready to offer stats to show that Sterling is consistently benched by this manager?

I didn't blame him for this result or performance. But I have been underwhelmed just about all season. I don't care whether the media think he's had a good game, I care what i think.

We've not got enough game changers on the pitch. Navas isn't  game changer, he's a safe (in a negative, defensive way) pair of hands.. He doesn't lose the ball much and keeps passing it around short. He's not taking risks to beat his man. It isn't much of a risk is he's out wide in the final third, but he keeps passing it around and failing with crosses. Someone, with a more direct approach, should be given a chance instead.

Everything comes back to the manager.
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by skyblueoz Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:59 am

sterling was the ultimate up & coming youngster in the Liverpool side with Sturridge suarez & coutinho. When suarez left that was not the only problem he faced. His next problem was a long term injury to Sturridge meant he played as the main striker, because there is no way lambert was going to be charged with that role & the panic buy that was Balotelli. Borini was shipped out so Sterling was suddenly exposed as the main man he did not have Sturridge & suarez taking the work load of him & creating the spaces for him to run into. This is part of the reason why I think sterling is not performing as the player we saw then. We do not play to his strengths & I will admit I do wish he would be stronger on the ball & not get knocked of it so easily.

Sterling will need a very different approach if we really are going to see the best of him, Maybe pep will bring that out or ship him out. It appears that pep is after that kid from shalke Sane. Whether he is to replace Navas or sterling I am not certain.
skyblueoz
skyblueoz
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by skyblueoz Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:01 am

I noticed also that Diaz was not included in either the under 18's or eds squads yesterday?
skyblueoz
skyblueoz
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by shakencity Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:53 am

Oh a Sterling debate that's not been started by me Laughing

Right, where do i start?.......only joking!

You know my stance (and it will NEVER change), he's the biggest waste of money City have spent since Lescott (sorry, Mangala Razz ).

Gsus,
"but how can a counter attacking player with awesome dribbling skills, speed, vision and goal scoring ability turn into another Navas??!!"

That's very simple to answer, he was never much more than him to begin with Rolling Eyes .
Awesome dribbling skills....think you're taking the piss with this.
Speed......ok, i'll give you that, but how many times is it effectively used?
Vision....Eh?...well he's got a pair of eyes if that's what you mean.
Goal scoring ability....it was more or less the same at Loserpool (2013/14-10 in 38, 2014/15-11 in 52), thus far he has 9 in 34.
shakencity
shakencity
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:43 am

However, he's City's 2nd top scorer...and doesn't take free kicks or penalties. Wink
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by shakencity Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:49 am

blueboy wrote:However, he's City's 2nd top scorer...and doesn't take free kicks or penalties. Wink
Ok i take it all back then....he's brilliant Razz .
shakencity
shakencity
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:58 am

No, I get what you're saying, but he's getting pelters and he's our 2nd top scorer, doesn't have the opportunity like Aguero and TLMLF to add free kicks or penalties to his tally, is played wide left...in a poor team this season.

Others have to take ore responsibility as well. If Sterling is 2nd top scorer as a winger....what does that tell us about the others?

Yes, KDB was on a roll before his injury, but we've relied on Aguero again - and he's missed some absolute sitters lately.

TLMLF? Navas? Bony? Fernandinho?.....where's their contribution in the goal tally?

We've missed Nasri as well...albeit, not a prolific scorer, but does come up with important goals at times.
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by shakencity Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:09 am

I completely get what you're saying blue and your post is pretty much spot on....i just don't think he's a very good player that's all. He's never once made me think differently, he just frustrates the hell out of me.

I think i've been over my reason why i think this, so i won't go there again.
shakencity
shakencity
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:22 am

Fair enough...and again, I agree - he can be frustrating, but if we go back to the first 5/6 games of the season when we were firing - I'm sure if you review the posts on here, the articles in the media...Sterling was one of the reasons we started so brilliantly.

So I'm expecting him to recapture that form when Pep comes - as this manager has become pretty clueless lately.
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by TMG Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:29 am

Gotta say I have to agree with Den. I've been very disappointed with Sterling. He seems to have gone backwards since joining us
In fact that's another question, why do so many players seem to not fulfil their potential when coming to us?
Apart from KdB that seems to apply to everyone we have bought over the last couple of seasons Sterling, Bony, Caballero,  Otto,  Mangala
In fact even before then we seem to have a history of 'ruining' players Rodwell, Sinclair spring to mind Even Jimmy Milner was better at Villa
And what about Negredo, Jovetic,, Navas, Boateng  Savic Nastasic - All big money signings

Have to disagree on the biggest waste of money being Lescott though He gave us some good service. Rocky Santa Cruz - £18 million of cart horse - gets my vote
TMG
TMG
Key Player
Key Player

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:34 am

First few games of the season. Comments from the BBC.

WBA 3-0
"Raheem has given us the sharpness and speed to hurt teams," said Kompany. "It gives other sides things to think about. It gives us that bit of danger we need and we have so many tools to hurt teams now."

Chelsea 3-0
Raheem Sterling, even at £49m, is very much a work in progress and this was proved again here as moments of quality were occasionally mixed with poor end product.

But it can only be to his, City and England's benefit to be working in such close proximity to world-class operators like Aguero and Silva.

Everton 2-0
Sterling has hinted at why Manchester City were prepared to part with £49m to bring him from Liverpool in his first two games - here he showed exactly what he can add to Manuel Pellegrini's side.

Sterling had to put up with inevitable jeers from Everton supporters as a former Liverpool player (although hardly a taste of what he will receive when he gets back to Anfield) but he played without a care in the world and was a constant threat.

Watford 2-0
MOM: It was clear how much it meant to Raheem Sterling to score his first goal for City since his £49m move from Liverpool. His pace was City's biggest threat in the first half and he also showed he is capable of a cool finish with the way he broke the deadlock

I honestly think that Sterling should be deployed behind Aguero at times, but he's constantly left wide left....his finishing does need to improve though.
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonchester Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:04 am

the final bit hits what I've been saying, he isn't going to be effective hugging the left touchline..
could even stick him on the right instead of Navas? just something to try and change it up, play Navas on the left as he doesn't hit the byline on the right enough anyways
Moonchester
Moonchester
Key Player
Key Player

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:24 am

agree...but when do you ever see the players or the manager trying to shake things up? Never.
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:21 pm

I might have gone a bit overboard with the awesome dribbling skills! 

All valid points. I do believe that we are currently not getting the best out of any of our players....Raheem is certainly one of them. Having him on the bench when he cost us 50m is just silly... not good for the kids confidence either because we bought potential and not the finished article...

Back to top Go down

Post by shakencity Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:26 am

Personal Gsus wrote:I might have gone a bit overboard with the awesome dribbling skills!
Haha...just a tad.

I will be watching him very closely tonight.....just to see if i can give him any credit tomorrow Wink
shakencity
shakencity
Cult Hero
Cult Hero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down