Bluemoon Legends
Hi there fellow Football lover! Welcome to 606 Bluemoon Legends Forum. Have a good time and any problems, let me know.

Kindest regards
Leopold
Bluemoon Legends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Who is online?
In total there are 9 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 9 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 441 on Sun May 22, 2011 10:20 pm
Latest topics
» 23/24 Prediction League
Have 1,200 world cup workers really died in Qatar? EmptyToday at 2:24 pm by Topdawg

» Pep’s at it again
Have 1,200 world cup workers really died in Qatar? EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:39 pm by Topdawg

» Nijinsky tips
Have 1,200 world cup workers really died in Qatar? EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 12:08 pm by Nijinsky

» I can't believe it
Have 1,200 world cup workers really died in Qatar? EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 11:11 pm by titbumwilly

» Today's game
Have 1,200 world cup workers really died in Qatar? EmptySun Jan 14, 2024 11:04 am by skyblueoz

» Happy christmas Blue Moon Users & Guests
Have 1,200 world cup workers really died in Qatar? EmptyMon Dec 25, 2023 8:30 am by shakencity

» Bloody Rubbish
Have 1,200 world cup workers really died in Qatar? EmptySun Dec 24, 2023 4:08 pm by skyblueoz

» World Cup Final
Have 1,200 world cup workers really died in Qatar? EmptyMon Oct 30, 2023 11:21 am by shakencity

» The Man City Academy - What' the point?
Have 1,200 world cup workers really died in Qatar? EmptyFri Sep 22, 2023 4:02 pm by lee1pen

» Transfer business - good or bad?
Have 1,200 world cup workers really died in Qatar? EmptyFri Sep 08, 2023 3:44 pm by Nijinsky

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Have 1,200 world cup workers really died in Qatar?

3 posters

Go down

Have 1,200 world cup workers really died in Qatar? Empty Have 1,200 world cup workers really died in Qatar?

Post by Topdawg Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:26 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33019838

I found this a really informative article and just goes, once again, to show how people are more than happy to manipulate statistics to try to advance their point.

Now, we all know that handing the WC to Qatar was corruption of the highest order, but let's leave that aside.

You've got all these people coming out complaining about the conditions for the workers in Qatar (and they do appear to be deplorable) yet many stars have property in Dubai that was built by......exploited foreign workers. Many people are happy to buy cheap clothes made by.......exploited foreign workers. Many people are happy to buy cheap fruit and veg made by......exploited foreign workers (and even exploited HG ones as well).
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Have 1,200 world cup workers really died in Qatar? Empty Re: Have 1,200 world cup workers really died in Qatar?

Post by blueboy Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:13 am

and your point is? Razz
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Have 1,200 world cup workers really died in Qatar? Empty Re: Have 1,200 world cup workers really died in Qatar?

Post by leopold Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:16 am

I get your point.  We only ever complain about the exploitation of foreign workers when it doesn't affect us.  But when it comes to cheap clothing or food or property, we quite easily turn a blind eye because, hey, why let your principles interfere with your welfare?

It's blatant hypocrisy and it's being stirred up by the US because they wanted to win the World Cup bid for 2022 and they didn't.  The US were perfectly happy to exploit their own Black workforce right up until the last third of the last century, so this is really nothing more than crying about not winning.

Also, the scale of what Qatar is doing is far, far greater than any other world event.  They are having to build entire cities from scratch, replace sewer systems, provide a transport network.  They probably have an order of magnitude more people working on it than the Brazilians did.

I don't know how accurate the 1200 number is, but some people need to let go of the bitterness surrounding Qatar getting the World Cup.  Given the vast sums pumped into football by the Arab nations these days, it's only fair they get to host the biggest tournament at some point, even if they did cheat to get it.
leopold
leopold
The Boss
The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:22 am

But did 'they' cheat to get it? I'm sure ALL countries entered into 'contribution' based bids - even England built pitches in T&T and sent a delegation of footballers to play in a friendly to persuade them to bid for us.

FIFA are the only one's who have cheated in this whole process if you ask me. If they hadn't asked or received bribes - then the process would be considered fair.
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by leopold Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:31 am

Maybe Qatar cheated harder than everyone else, then, but I take your point.  If FIFA weren't so eminently corrupt then, at best, none of these shenanigans would've made the slightest difference.  And at worst, FIFA could've dismissed them altogether.

But, we're back to principles and welfare again. The mob at FIFA were feathering their own nests on the back of all this and, presumably, have been doing so for years.  Not bad for a "not for profit" organisation, eh?
leopold
leopold
The Boss
The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by blueboy Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:36 am

Not bad for a "not for profit" organisation, eh?

Exactly...and they should be investigated solely on this point.
blueboy
blueboy
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by leopold Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:45 am

Did I read it right that they have $1.4 BILLION in their account?  I'd be interested to see how they're going to distribute it, I'm sure it will make a massive difference to grass roots football worldwide...
leopold
leopold
The Boss
The Boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Topdawg Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:20 pm

The 1,200 number seems highly inaccurate because it would appear they only looked at two countries (India and Nepal) and they included every single death to one of their citizens however caused. You got hit by a bus crossing the road, you are one of those stats!

The Indian said they weren't worried by the numbers because they'd expect 4 times as many to die if they were back in India!!!
Topdawg
Topdawg
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down